johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Four hours of blazing heat, half a canteen, and two very frustrating finds. The flying eagle seems to be an 1858, and the other I don't know because after I put it in water the few details that were visible vanished. The horizon line was strong when it came out of the ground and there were a few letters beneath it. They all washed away at once , and the the back is worse still. For curiosity's sake I wonder what it is? The horizon is too high for a British King George. The only coin I can find with a horizon that high is the Fugio. It would be extra frustrating if this was (emphasis on "was") a fugio.

Attachments

• whata.JPG
    whata.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 357
Upvote 0
Ah yes, well, at least you got out and found something today. I went out for the first time in awhile, took ice pack, water, in my backpack, sweated quite a bit, and even thought of diggin and sifting, well, after two test holes the sweat won out and put the screen box away and shovel and just metal detected the site. Got one real good relic, something on my goal list for a long time, will post tomorrow.

John, one thing I always did before I attempt to clean my finds is always get a "before" photo or scan, so that in case of severe corrosion where the details that are seen are only really corroded remnants of the actual detail, that at least you have a photo record of what you saw before cleaning.......

Don

Good tip on the before photos Don (and the water and ice pack too!) Looking forward to seeing "the find"...the suspense builds...

Too bad about the larger coin. The Flying Eagle cent looks good though! I would let that baby soak in olive oil for a month. :thumbsup:

The only thing I can think of is try penciling over the coin on a piece of paper. You might be able to get some sort of design that way.

John,

A copper is a copper. Too bad you washed it in water. I only use my nail to scratch the dirt off. I never clean my coppers with anything else.

You found it and that is all that counts.

Kirk

Flying eagle cents can be hard to find I have yet to find one,I found a large cent the other day that was to corroded to see anything the hardest part about it is never knowing what it was but where threres one theres more. Keep pluggin johnny :icon_sunny:. Art Of Fact

WTG on those coins, I hope some can identify it for you. It's been so hot to hunt that when I go out I have at least 6 bottles of water and I drink often. Keep hydrated and HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back