What's new

full step nickels - what is that about?

stu123

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2009
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I've been reading about 'full step nickels" meaning 5 or 6 of the steps are visible on the montecello building on the back of nickels. I've been looking thru my nickels and it looks like alot of the 2005+ nickels I have show the steps. Does that mean anything?
What are your opinions?

Thanks
 
Upvote 0
Early Full Steps are obviously rarer than modern issues. Part the reason is the alloy of the early nickels was inferior to the alloy used today. In addition, die creation has improved and die wear has been reduced by eliminating used dies. I presume you understand the "Full Step" grading.
 
is this a good definition?


Full Steps (FS) is the designation following the numerical grade of some regular-strike MS60 or higher Jefferson nickels that have at least five separated steps (lines) at the base of Moniticello. Any major disturbance or interruption of these steps or lines, whether caused by contact, planchet problems, or another source, will result in the coin's not being designated FS. Only the slightest weakness on any step (line) is allowed for this designation.
 
stu123 said:
is this a good definition?


Full Steps (FS) is the designation following the numerical grade of some regular-strike MS60 or higher Jefferson nickels that have at least five separated steps (lines) at the base of Moniticello. Any major disturbance or interruption of these steps or lines, whether caused by contact, planchet problems, or another source, will result in the coin's not being designated FS. Only the slightest weakness on any step (line) is allowed for this designation.

I would specify that Full Steps don't necessarily have to be a MS-60 grade or higher. Typically, Full Steps are struck from unworn/fresh dies. As the die is worn, the distinction of the steps become less apparent.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom