What's new

Funny little dime.

TxTim

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2007
Messages
2,735
Reaction score
28
Golden Thread
0
Location
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
I found this tonight in a bag. It's copper colored and fits inside a regular dime. Edge is smooth and brown like a penny.
Is this some kind of wrong planchet error?
 

Attachments

  • sXs.webp
    sXs.webp
    12.8 KB · Views: 377
  • edge.webp
    edge.webp
    6.5 KB · Views: 355
  • inside.webp
    inside.webp
    20 KB · Views: 353
Upvote 0
Yes I have had those before also. Wonder what happened to it.

Cat
 
It looks like someone began to make a coin ring out of it then gave up.
 
Tim....I saw one just like that on E-Bay just this past weekend in the error section. You might want to check that out.

I am no expert on errors by any means so I was in there looking around kinda schooling myself on errors and saw that very thing with a dime.

Neat find.
 
could be a lamination error?....




Lamination Errors

All dimes, quarters and half dollars are currently minted on blanks cut from the prescribed clad strip that consists of outer layers of copper-nickel (75% copper and 25% nickel) bonded to an inner core of pure copper. This concoction isn't always stable and if gas or dirt comes between the layers, one or both of the outer copper-nickel layer may fall off when the planchets (blanks) are cut from the clad strip. The resulting blank may have a "yellow" or "red" side and a "silver" side. These incomplete error blanks are struck with the coin's design and become a mystery to those who find them in circulation. Clad coinage completely missing one or both layers are very collectable and bring a premium when offered in the numismatic community. These errors are called lamination errors and can also appear with only part of the outer layer missing. Small lamination errors actually reduce the coin's collector value.



http://www.coinsite.com/content/faq/CladCoinage.asp
 
You have a lost coin ring. People with a lot of time on their hands tap coins with spoons to make rings. When the ring is as wide as they want they drill out the center. It takes a long time to make one of those buggers so they are carried in the pocket until they are completed. I have dug several of these on European battlefields. I've also found some in the unuited states. siegfried schlagrule
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom