What's new

Future of Franklins

TT

Full Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2008
Messages
167
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Milky Way
Does anyone think there will be increased numismatic value of the Franklins in the future? There is always the unknown of what the late 70s silver melt did to this series.
 
Upvote 0
I hope so cause I'm still findin them LOL. Got 3 last night. HH Mark
 
My coin dealer friend advised me recently that the run of the mill, circulated Franklins at this time are worth more for their silver content than their numismatic value.

When silver is low, say 3.5 times face, then the Franklins carry a small premium, say 4 or 4.5 to one, but right now with melt is around 10 times face, give or take, they are worth more for their silver content.

He was dealing coins during the big "Silver Craze" in the late 1970's and 1980 when the Hunt Brothers tried to corner the market on silver. He tells me that for the most part the silver coins were not melted down, but have been held by investers and large companies like Dillon Gage in Dallas.

http://www.dillongage.com/

It seems that there is a large business of selling, buying and trading silver in the form of $1000.00 face bags to the tune of 10's of bags, if not hundreds of bags or more at a time. No reason to melt the coins since they are in a good form of trade or exchange as they are. Everyone knows the silver content of any american coin and its value at any given time. No need to speculate.

What did get melted away was all the old silverware, jewlery, etc., etc.. Only the finer pieces with much more value than that of their silver survived.

If you want to read an interesting story about the Hunt family read this one.

http://www.gold-eagle.com/editorials_04/laborde012704.html

CLZinTX
 
There were over 452 million Franlin Half Dollars minted between 1948 and 1963. Some of our luckier forum members are still finding 100 year old halves that are in circulation. I feel we will see Franklins for a long time to come. Cheers, Jim
 
I appreciate the replies. I have been struggling at whether to include them with 1964s to work towards a $1000 face bag of 90%ers. Unfortunately including them will not put me over the top at this point.
 
Tony,

With silver at ten times face I would not hesitate to take any I had and include them to make a $1000.00 bag. However, if it were to drop drastically I would keep them.

How about this, include them in your $1000.00 and get a good price for them, then if silver drops you can always buy some back at a good price and win both ways.

If silver does not drop then you will continue to find more and then here we go again. lol

Good Luck,

CLZinTX
 
I hope we still find Bens, I still need to find the 53 Philly and the 55 to complete the set. I have found what I believe to be the 55 proof. Of course these are the two, lowest mintage of the series.
 
I just melt em, Not enough premium on them to bother with for the amounts. Particularly if you ask CMhoose, he is such a cheapskate that we wont even pay melt for them, So I melt em.
 
::)  That's right.  I don't pay melt for Franklins, and neither does anyone else. 

TonyT - I personally have almost completed a PCGS MS FBL set.  I think that is where you are going to get the best returns for your money.  As far as circulated goes, it will be a long time before numismatic value passes melt value. Silver is rising too fast. If anyone tries to sell you them for melt or higher like JewelerDave, just pass on that.  You can get a better deal.

I would just toss them in with the 64's. 

Good Luck with your $1000 bag!

HH
cmhoose
 
And the drama continues...These are the days of T-net...stay tuned for more
;D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom