Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the warning creskol. In warmer weather They are common here in New Jersey too. I haven’t seen any this winter, but I will now start using various protections.

Saker

Jan 12, 2021
SW PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CTX3030, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loads of ticks in SW PA. Permethrin is the best repellent for ticks. Wet your clothes with it and it'll keep the ticks away. It last several wash cycles as well. I haven't had a tick on me since I started using it.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good warning creskol, but ticks are-still-out. They don't hibernate. They can attach to you 12 months of the year. I've had the nasty ticks on my pants when the temperature was in the low 20's.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Good warning creskol, but ticks are-still-out. They don't hibernate. They can attach to you 12 months of the year. I've had the nasty ticks on my pants when the temperature was in the low 20's.
That is true, but they are usually way less active during the winter months. This is the first time in 35+ years that I have found four on me this early in the year. Of course it could be that the deer are breeding like rodents, because I have seen way more of them this year than I have in the past.

"Ticks usually not active during the winter that go dormant instead include the American dog tick and the lone star tick. The blacklegged tick, also known as deer ticks, carry Lyme disease and will remain active during the colder months, as long as the temperature is above freezing."

Last edited:

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once found a tick on me in January , I've lived in Va my entire life and only remember there being the larger dog ticks in my youth. now it's seldom the dog ticks , more deer tick and Lone Star tick.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to know.
I call them the ‘t’ word. No ticks here until late March. I got the fever years ago, no fun. When they say fever they really mean it. I say do not use rubbing alcohol to remove them. Just grab them and slowly tug on them until they let go, could take up to a minute. But the point is tug very gently so you don’t tear off their head inside your skin.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is true, but they are usually way less active during the winter months. This is the first time in 35+ years that I have found four on me this early in the year. Of course it could be that the deer are breeding like rodents, because I have seen way more of them this year than I have in the past.

"Ticks usually not active during the winter that go dormant instead include the American dog tick and the lone star tick. The blacklegged tick, also known as deer ticks, carry Lyme disease and will remain active during the colder months, as long as the temperature is above freezing."
Correct, I have read and you probably have too where someone writes that because it is winter, ticks aren't out. I had Lyme disease back in '83, before anyone knew what it was. Even my doctor said he didn't know what the bullseye on the back of my leg was. Luckily he gave me anti-biotics, but still, I was a spaced out zombie for 3-4 years. I don't go in the woods without spraying my pants with permethrin.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Adding to what I said earlier: this thread is a great reminder to treat with permethrin and some Deet too. I have been careless in the first few weeks of 2023; 10 days ago I went charging through thick prickers for maybe an hour during a detecting hunt, but fortunately didn't get any ticks (I did change out of the clothes and shower after getting home). I could have easily picked one/a few up during that adventure.
I will re-institute protective measures starting right away. I've been fortunate to avoid sickness (despite...4? tick attachments) and want to keep it that way!
- Brian

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've often wondered why no one sells sportsmans wash , shower with it after returning from the woods to be sure you are tick and chigger free. you know it would sell . if you take this idea and make a fortune don't forget me..:wink:

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tejon/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes. i hate ticks. lymes disease hit me hard about 15 years ago. i dont go anywhere without treated clothing in permethrin. even cutting the grass i wear it. and anytime since that i found a tick in my body its instantly a doctor visit. dont mess around with ticks. they will mess you up big time. its amazing how something so small can do so much damage.

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tejon/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
at my bite mark was a bullseye the size of a basketball(it was on my back) and the center of it my skin was rotting away. when the nurse saw it she dropped my shirt and ran out the room to get the doctor. on top of that, i had hundreds of quarter size bulls eyes on my legs, arms,chest,neck, and face. i started loosing my hearing and eye sight. and i was in so much body ache pain that i couldnt make it out of bed in time to go to the bathroom. very high fever as well. all that hit me that hard when i was in my early 20s. cant imagine all that happening to an older person.

the solution was an IV treatment that i had to wear on my belt. meds were being pumped into me 24/7. and then had to take pills for a month. but to this day im still messed up. in my mid 30s and all my joints hurt and wake up feeling stiff. takes an hour to get everything loosen up. i guess im doomed for my later years.

Tinhorn2

Jul 27, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Saker said - Permethrin is the best repellent for ticks- if the tick walks over the cloth 10 inches, It Kill it. When I do pull one off my skin, I put some Iodine on the spot

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just heard on the radio a report that in the state of Connecticut tick population that carries the viruses will multiply greatly because they found evidence that the ticks are active even in the winter months and do not die off..

Southern Sis

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In spite of the run with single digit temperatures, ticks are a plenty. Went for a walk in the woods yesterday and found 3 ticks crawling on me. I found one more latched on to me this morning. Be careful out there!

THIS WORKS FOR ME:
About 5+ yrs ago, I read taking garlic daily would deter ticks & mosquitoes from biting. I live in the south, on 3 acres, in the country. Ticks & mosquitoes here are as thick as thieves.

Although skeptical, I decided to give it a try. It was said although you will not smell like garlic, they can detect it through your pores, therefore will not bite. Within a week or 2, the rare occasion I would find 1 or 2 on me, they were never attached. Also, while sitting on the front porch one day, I noticed a mosquito hovering over my arm. It kept wanting to bite, but every time it would get closer it would back off. Never did bite. I now take garlic daily, year round.

I settled on the following because you do not taste or burp it, & they are only a little larger than a BB. Upon getting up each morning I take 4 to 6. It is just garlic, so it will not hurt you. It is an antioxidant that is also beneficial for your heart, cholesterol levels & circulation.

Nature's Bounty Garlic Extract 1000 mg Softgels, 100 ea.

I started off buying it in Walgreen’s when they had a BOGO sale. Now, I can often find better deals on Amazon.

Note: Do not give it to your dogs, as I have read it will harm them!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't think we have ticks in Colorado. Many years of living here I never encountered a single one on me or any of the dogs I've had.
Yes sir, count your blessings. They are alive and well in the South.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes sir, count your blessings. They are alive and well in the South.
I don't think we have ticks in Colorado. Many years of living here I never encountered a single one on me or any of the dogs I've had.

Check out the article referenced below:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread