What's new

G.A.R. Medal??

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
2,197
Reaction score
20
Golden Thread
0
Location
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
My friend, who seems to find alot of these type items has asked again if I can help on info on this nice find. My guess is a GAR related item, but still want to ask the experts. I know it says Indianapolis, 1908, Indiana, and other writing, but not much else. Its soaking now, but hopefully with this little info something might come from it. Thanks!!
 

Attachments

  • old find.webp
    old find.webp
    294.6 KB · Views: 284
Interesting find! I could ALMOST make out the rest of the inscription, but not quite.

Post follow up photos, please!

Take one a bit from the side perspective too.

This is a great example of how we find and preserve relics that would otherwise be lost to oxidation.

:thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
The twenty-ninth annual encampment of the Department of Indiana was held May 19–21, 1908
if that helps
 
Upvote 0
looks like a Grave Marker
 
Upvote 0
jeff of pa said:
looks like a Grave Marker

I think that's just due to the size of the photo. Notice the suspension loop on one wing of the eagle, and a bump on the other where the loop has broken off. It's part of a badge.

In fact, it's the lower portion, or "drop," of a souvenir badge from the 28th Indiana State Encampment of the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR), held in Kokomo, IN. I can't post it due to ©, but this badge is illustrated on p. 56 of A Collector's Identification and Price Guide for Grand Army of the Republic Memorabilia.

The missing hanger bar (top part of the badge) is composed of the letters G A R, with the word SOUVENIR superimposed.
 
Upvote 0
Yea Sorry !

The size threw me off

!!dexCAGRYQCW.webp
 
Upvote 0
Kokomo hosted the 28th Annual Encampment May 19th- 21st, 1908, as well as the state meeting of the sister organization, the Woman's Relief Corps.
 
Upvote 0
Gypsy Heart said:
Kokomo hosted the 28th Annual Encampment May 19th- 21st, 1908, as well as the state meeting of the sister organization, the Woman's Relief Corps.

Hi Gypsy Heart!

Was that Kosciusko, Indiana?

BTW: I had heard of the Women's Relief Corps, but did not know it was a sister organization the the G.A.R.

Thanks for info; great thread.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the help, at least I was partly right assuming it was a GAR medal!!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom