What's new

Game Pieces

jamus peek

Sr. Member
Joined
May 13, 2014
Messages
373
Reaction score
334
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen a few threads lately on game balls. Here are some game pieces I have found in the last couple years. I find what i have seen referred to as stick balls, game balls, marbles. They are found alongside with discoidals that have the unique characteristics I have read about. Some lack polish and some are polished. They are all flat sided, some are made of clay but most are made out of different types of quartz, granite and a variety of sandstones some vesicular. Some of the discoidals are flat on one side and convex on the other as they are unevenly weighted they roll in a circle. Others are convex on both sides and evenly weighted so they roll straight. Some are taller in height when layed flat then in width and are referred to as barrel discoidals. Some are just plain unique and simply the way they are weighted determines the performance. These were all found lower in the creek i hunt on a 400 plus acre property where there is a clay bottom so i presume there probably are some baked clay alleys underground close by as these were all found within 100 yards or so. I have been meaning to share them here are some pics.

20180701_132953.webp

20180701_132943.webp

20180701_132731.webp

20180701_133135.webp

20180701_133147.webp
 
Upvote 0
Peck Stones used in Knapping and a few Discoidals. I guess you could refer to the Discs as "Game Pieces" per se, but the round ones are most likely Pecking Stones. Nice examples Jamus!!
 
Peck Stones used in Knapping and a few Discoidals. I guess you could refer to the Discs as "Game Pieces" per se, but the round ones are most likely Pecking Stones. Nice examples Jamus!!

Thanks Grim I really appreciate your input. It makes sense that they are pecking stones didn't think about that obviously the tools to make the discoidals would be close by.
 
Nice biscuit in that last picture. I dug one on my land a while back and couldn't resist it when I got back to the shop. I've got a dirt driveway and turned it loose like a bowling ball. The thing tracked like a laser! Let it be known however, that I don't make it a habit of throwing my artifacts!
 
Last edited:
Congrats. Those are nice.
 
Nice biscuit in that last picture. I dug one on my land a while back and couldn't resist it when I got back to the shop. I've got a dirt driveway and turned it loose like a bowling ball. The thing tracked like a laser! Let it be known however, that I don't make it a habit of throwing my artifacts!

Thanks Sandchip they definitely track like a laser. I have a soccer turf field close by and like you i don't make a habit of throwing artifacts but i wanted to see how they rolled and i was impressed and like i read at close to the end of the roll the ones that are convex on one side and flat on the other start to roll in a circle when they start to lose momentum.
 
Last edited:
Check out the egg shaped ones. Mine spins like a top, a sight to behold.If it was possible I would post a video but seems more difficult than changing my windshield wipers.
 
Looks like you've got some nice discoidals there, jamus. Most of us would be lucky to find just one. Great collection!
 
Looks like you've got some nice discoidals there, jamus. Most of us would be lucky to find just one. Great collection!

Thanks alot Charl! Just luck of the draw theres a lot of groundstone here. Id be lucky to find an Arrowhead.
 
Nice collection of artifacts .
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom