What's new

garage sale find

PALEOMAN

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
277
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
COLORADO
Detector(s) used
WHITES XLT
bought a jar o buttons for a buck, these were in there. anyone recognize them? if so are they worth anything? ty
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0009.webp
    IMG_0009.webp
    28.3 KB · Views: 596
also
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0004.webp
    IMG_0004.webp
    23.8 KB · Views: 576
  • IMG_0005.webp
    IMG_0005.webp
    18.4 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_0006.webp
    IMG_0006.webp
    16.1 KB · Views: 579
  • IMG_0007.webp
    IMG_0007.webp
    24.2 KB · Views: 581
Upvote 0
Could you please take the time to post the back side of the buttons, as that's the MOST helpful thing we can see?


buttons.webp
 
Upvote 0
ok sorry guys. heres the other sides, same order. thanks
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0026.webp
    IMG_0026.webp
    49.4 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_0025.webp
    IMG_0025.webp
    45.7 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_0024.webp
    IMG_0024.webp
    34.8 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_0023.webp
    IMG_0023.webp
    38.6 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_0019.webp
    IMG_0019.webp
    33.8 KB · Views: 506
Upvote 0
Rotterdam... The Netherlands.

It's a city and municipality in the Dutch province of South Holland, situated in the west of the Netherlands.


Dutch Navy?
 
Upvote 0
In regards to the Dutch Button. I grew up in The Netherlands, and much of my family served in the Navy and the merchant marines during many of the wars of the last century. I recognize the button, or at least the crest. The emblem on the front is definitely Dutch Navy, perhaps even a reserve uniform button. Here is what their flag looks like

http://flagspot.net/flags/nl~kmr.html

Notice the similar emblem of the crown and anchor in the middle. The button varies somewhat , more than likely because it is older than the current flag. The real question is, how did it end up in a garage sale in the US...I love to hear the stories behind things like this. Although it is likely we will never know,. The company name is of no help. The name Janssen (or sometimes Jansen) is as common as Smith is here. Zoon means "son." I'll bet there were many companies with the same name. I could not find the company, so I will assume the button is probably older than me. Anyway, hope this sheds some light on that one button.
 
Upvote 0
The button reads Janssen & Zoon though, mean "Janssen and Son" Groningen is also far removed (by dutch standards) from rotterdam.
 
Upvote 0
I was just posting the link,it has some great button info,it also shows some danish navy buttons!Im not sure what the button posted is,but it maybe on this link..
 
Upvote 0
I guess its hard for me to tell,she has many others on the site..
 

Attachments

  • DanishNavyCoat.webp
    DanishNavyCoat.webp
    3.7 KB · Views: 259
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom