What's new

Garbage Letters in Cipher 1

chalkoutline

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2025
Messages
679
Reaction score
279
Golden Thread
0
This morning I made a new discovery regarding the Alphabetical strings in Cipher 1. I should have seen this sooner.

The Alphabetical strings are intentional and until today I thought it either proved Cipher 1 was made up or the author of the story inserted them as clues to solve the ciphers for entertainment.
However, I now realize it could be a security feature!

When text is readable using one Cipher, the same text will be gibberish when using a different Cipher.
I realized this as soon as I confirmed the strings but what i didn't realize until today that "garbage" letters would be sprinkled throughout the cipher because TB used the same number multiple times.

The attached pic shows...out of the 520 numbers of Cipher 1, 91 of those numbers will produce 91 garbage letters.

Im certain you will not get a readable message with these garbage letters in the message so I will be updating my decoder with an option to ignore these garbage letters.
 

Attachments

  • Alpha Strings Garbage Letters.webp
    Alpha Strings Garbage Letters.webp
    12.2 KB · Views: 92
This morning I made a new discovery regarding the Alphabetical strings in Cipher 1. I should have seen this sooner.

The Alphabetical strings are intentional and until today I thought it either proved Cipher 1 was made up or the author of the story inserted them as clues to solve the ciphers for entertainment.
However, I now realize it could be a security feature!

When text is readable using one Cipher, the same text will be gibberish when using a different Cipher.
I realized this as soon as I confirmed the strings but what i didn't realize until today that "garbage" letters would be sprinkled throughout the cipher because TB used the same number multiple times.

The attached pic shows...out of the 520 numbers of Cipher 1, 91 of those numbers will produce 91 garbage letters.

Im certain you will not get a readable message with these garbage letters in the message so I will be updating my decoder with an option to ignore these garbage letters.
I should point out...even if you ignore the garbage letters, you still need to correctly number the correct document.
 
Here is my latest decoder. I added a new Cipher to the dropdown list: C1-No Garbage.

Due to the file size, I had to zip it
Here is a pdf showing the locations of all 91 garbage letters of the alphabetical strings and how they are sprinkled throughout Cipher 1.
 

Attachments

Last edited:
I looked into the alphabetical strings more. Here’s what I determined...

The KEY(s) from St Louis would have been a list numbers with letters assigned to each number but they were never sent. This meant the cipher number for the alphabetical strings would have been assigned one set of numbers for Cipher 2 (which we know) and another set of letters for Cipher 1 ( which we don't know).

It is improbable that the set of letter assigned for Cipher 1 would occur naturally if/when the document for Cipher 1 was numbered sequentially so TB would have assigned these letters once he located the strings above his Cipher 1 message.

For example. The cipher numbers for the first string appears at message location 44...
150 251 284 408 231 124 211 486 225 401

Once these numbers are located above the actual Cipher 1 message at location44,...they would be assigned the letters from the Cipher 1 message. This means these letters would have been assigned randomly and added to the Cipher 1 KEY.

TB could have then numbered the rest of the message using a sequentially numbered document as he did for Cipher 2 using the declaration of independence.

He would have then added the letters of the sequentially numbered document to the KEY making sure not to reuse the numbers already present from the strategically located alphabetical strings.
 
The question is "why would TB do this?"

Here's why...the randomly assigned letters would be impossible to decode without first knowing the actual Cipher 1 message.
By placing the string cipher numbers from Ciphe 2 at locations of the Cipher 1 message that contained critical directions or land marks...that information would be impossible to decode.

This means...even if you found and sequentially numbered the correct document, the information at the location of the four alphabetical strings would be gibberish and not decodable without the original KEY from St Louis
 
Here's the bright side...
TB did not restrict the random 43 letters to just the strings. He also sprinkled them throughout the Cipher 1 message for a total of 91 locations.

So it is possible that you can figure out the sprinkled letters after revealing most of the cipher 1 message using a sequentially numbered document.
Then you'd be able to fill in some of the cipher numbers of the strings....finally, you would need to fill in the blanks of the Cipher 1 message.
 
Here's the bright side...
TB did not restrict the random 43 letters to just the strings. He also sprinkled them throughout the Cipher 1 message for a total of 91 locations.

So it is possible that you can figure out the sprinkled letters after revealing most of the cipher 1 message using a sequentially numbered document.
Then you'd be able to fill in some of the cipher numbers of the strings....finally, you would need to fill in the blanks of the Cipher 1 message.
Here is the map for the random number/letters for Cipher 1. It important that your Cipher 1 solve match through original TB Cipher 1 message so you can sprinkled letters the decode the critical information hidden at the four string locations.

Otherwise, your solve is wrong. Its kinda like the medallion in Raiders where you needed both sides to locate the arc.
 

Attachments

In case you're wondering what I mean by making your Cipher 1 solve match TBs original message...im mean you need to number your solve withe the cipher numbers from Cipher 1 and make sure only one letter per number is used. If not, you need to reword the message until it does.

This would be a perfect application for AI.
 
In case you're wondering what I mean by making your Cipher 1 solve match TBs original message...im mean you need to number your solve withe the cipher numbers from Cipher 1 and make sure only one letter per number is used. If not, you need to reword the message until it does.

This would be a perfect application for AI.
I am totally lost. Maybe this will work?

ORPHAN ANNIE 1936-1.webp
 
I am totally lost. Maybe this will work?

View attachment 2225129
In order to have the correct solution to Cipher 1, two conditions must be met.
1 the total number of letters in the message must equal 520
2 each cipher number must only have 1 letter assigned to it.

So if you put each cipher number of Cipher 1 in order above each letter of your Cipher 1 message, you should never have two different letters in your message assigned to the same cipher number.

If you do, you may be close but you will not be able to decode the parts of the Cipher 1 message located where the four alphabetical strings are.

This why I believe you cannot crack Cipher 1 unless you find the document used to create the cipher numbers.
 
In order to have the correct solution to Cipher 1, two conditions must be met.
1 the total number of letters in the message must equal 520
2 each cipher number must only have 1 letter assigned to it.

So if you put each cipher number of Cipher 1 in order above each letter of your Cipher 1 message, you should never have two different letters in your message assigned to the same cipher number.

If you do, you may be close but you will not be able to decode the parts of the Cipher 1 message located where the four alphabetical strings are.

This why I believe you cannot crack Cipher 1 unless you find the document used to create the cipher numbers.
I just posted that Cipher 1 cannot be solved. That means you cannot crack Cipher 1 at all because the strings redact too much of the Cipher 1 message
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom