Garnets? Rubies?

Apr 9, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20190411_041720.jpg

I found this at the bottom of a pan after panning for gold.

Found at a huge river.

Upvote 0
Probably garnets. They occur with gold a lot.

Agree they are garnets.. but they are still cool

Yes they are garnets, I understand some miners are fascinated by them because they are rare but in my state they are a nuisance, so many, one river I have mined has no gold but running one bucket threw my sluice turns it blood red with garnets. They range from 1/2 inch to 1/8 inch in size, all other rivers I mine have a lot too. Great indicator for gold and on one river I mine you can see behind every rock on the surface after a flood garnets sitting there with black sand and mixed in is gold, easy mining.

Garnets are great indicators because they are comprised of many different elements. Knowing what type of garnet a person has in a particular area can lead to other discoveries.

Here for instance, I have Ilmenite which is close cousin to Melanite garnet. Either one has a lot of titanium in them giving them their black color. But Titanium, in a copper-zinc sulfides area? No wonder I found PGM's...this is just the type of deposit they are found.

I have never done this, but want to someday, is make a piece of jewelry from the gold/silver I have found, and add especially nice Ilmenite to it for my wife. I know there is no inherent value in that, but not a lot of wives can say their husband made them their own jewelry either.

I have never done this, but want to someday, is make a piece of jewelry from the gold/silver I have found, and add especially nice Ilmenite to it for my wife. I know there is no inherent value in that, but not a lot of wives can say their husband made them their own jewelry either.

Back in 2013 I made a wedding band for my wife from gold I’d dug. Fun to do and she loves to show it off and brag about my prospecting now [emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻[emoji177]

Back in 2013 I made a wedding band for my wife from gold I’d dug. Fun to do and she loves to show it off and brag about my prospecting now [emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻[emoji177]

That is really cool, and I remember you saying that, and I have had a lot of respect for you since.

Happy wife, happy digging! It does not rhyme but I guess it works!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back