garret 250 or f2??

zach attack

Jul 10, 2014
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking to buy a new detector in the 200-300$ price range and can't decide between the garret 250 or the f2. For those of you who have used both machines or just know which one is the better pick I would love to know. I know most of the tnet community have been asked these kind of question many times but I simply can't decide after viewing both of their features. Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks, Zach.

Upvote 0

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro AT, Garrett Propointer+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went with the 350 for 300.00. I have found everything from junk to Gold. I do like it alot

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you are going to be very happy with either.have some expierience with both and liked them both.very close call.both companies have great cust.service too.perhaps the best deal you can get decides it.

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make sure you take a look at the new Treasure Master from White's. Lots of features for the money!

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look on Ebay for a Gamma 6000 big jump forward and easy to use! about every couple days one will show up with a buy it now for 279.00

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look on Ebay for a Gamma 6000 big jump forward and easy to use! about every couple days one will show up with a buy it now for 279.00

Used of course but a good ebay seller and you will be fine, or I have one I could part with as I have to many for my wife liking....LOL

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used the F2's big brother last season (the F4) and I loved it. If you get the F2 make sure it comes with the DD Coil. I see many people have made some good finds with both detectors that you are interested in.. I must admit that I have not had any experience with any Garrett detector.

I agree with bigfoot, maybe go with the best deal.

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Ace 250 you can program it to your liking F2 not programmable.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you do consider a 350, or a 250 and later get a DD coil, it's very good at detecting bottle caps.. what I mean by that is the there is a trick with the DD coil that makes it easy to identify them without digging them.

jojobama

Aug 22, 2014
south alabama
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I joined sahara. com metal detecting club years ago. look at newsletters I was blessed to finish 1st. my f2 found more clad, silver&gold than lots more expensive machines im looking at the f44. more civil war relics than I can count with f2 good mach.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also wanted to add the 250/350 works well on the beaches, you just notch out the one false iron hit you get from the salt water. Well works for me here in FL anyway. When the 250 / 350 finds an actual coin it's very obvious.. You'll want a pair of headphones though with volume control built in...

Last edited:
OP
OP
zach attack

zach attack

Jul 10, 2014
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also wanted to add the 250/350 works well on the beaches, you just notch out the one false iron hit you get from the salt water. Well works for me here in FL anyway. When the 250 / 350 finds an actual coin it's very obvious.. You'll want a pair of headphones though with volume control built in...

Thanks for the info. I live in Michigan so lots of water spots to hunt. HH and have a great day, Zach.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Zach. Check out this video. The F22 is $229. Better recovery rate than the Ace, more programmable than the F2. Deeper than both.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
F22 looks pretty nice, will it accept a DD coil? Also would you trust the "weather proof" for salt water hunting? No underwater but the occasional drop or wave crash?

bennitto340

Feb 20, 2013
upstate NY
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D
ETP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am looking to buy a new detector in the 200-300$ price range and can't decide between the garret 250 or the f2. For those of you who have used both machines or just know which one is the better pick I would love to know. I know most of the tnet community have been asked these kind of question many times but I simply can't decide after viewing both of their features. Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks, Zach.
Neither. The ace machines are dinosaurs, I would get one over a bounty hunter... maybe.... And the fisher is a great machine, but there are better at the high end of your price range. I would definitely be looking at the new F machines, WEATHERPROOF!!! and a huge selection of coils. The 44 has caught my attention for a rainy day park hunter. I have a Eurotek pro w/ 11DD and would recommend it to anyone! its stupidly simple, set the volume, sensitivity, and discrimination where you want, save, and BAM! turn on and go machine that is no slouch. First coin I ever found with the pro was a 1809 Half Cent at 7". The second, a flying eagle penny! later that week, 2 silver dimes from between 8 and 9" with a good VID, also have found a large cent at over 10. Its a beast for 299, and again great coil selection. Actually the same coil selection, Teknetics Greek/g2 coils fit the eurotek AND the F44! so if the 44 performs as well as my eurotek pro and is waterproof.... well the ETP might see a little more time in the closet.

sorry to be so long winded about it but the new F series is where I would go.

F22 looks pretty nice, will it accept a DD coil? Also would you trust the "weather proof" for salt water hunting? No underwater but the occasional drop or wave crash?
Yes, there is a good selection of DD's that will fit it. And yes I would trust the weatherproof for beach hunting if you do some research there have been submersion tests done with it, just shake it off and keep going.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would skip the F22 and go for the F44,it has manual ground balance, the 11 and 22 do not...

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also look at the Eurotek Pro with 11" DD coil before I bought any Ace or F2.

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree go with the ACE 350
Metal Detectors - View Blog

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have an F2 and love it. However, the new F44 at $350ish seems very good. I will probably be buying one myself soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread