What's new

Garrett AT MAX second thoughts :(

cbeck8

Tenderfoot
Joined
Oct 26, 2017
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently sold my AT pro and got the AT max, so far I have spent about 5 hours detecting with it and I don't really like it, it seems to just find surface finds and the tone of the beeps are really odd and sometimes the high tones are hard to hear, I really liked my pro and i found lots of silver coins with it, thinking about honestly returning the max and buying a brand new at pro and a new pinpointer instead.

I looked forward to the AT max so much but its letting me down!

Any advice? anyone had the same issues and it just took them a while to get used to? I don't know what to do!
 
Any new machine can be a little confusing at first. Get about 50 hours on it, then you'll begin to see what it can do.
 
It’s definitly A different machine...

I only have an hour on it, but managed to find some good stuff in a small park I have been to 10 times before.

I have good luck running it in zero mod - with iron discrim at like 38. I have only 1 day on it, and that setting is very much like the at pro.

The tones are similar... I think the vdi Locks in better. Overall, it seems better than my atp
 
I like it much better than my ATP. The tones work better for me. Although I haven’t found any deep silver I did get a CW 3 ringer at 10-11”. I’ve also found more V nickels then I’ve found all years. I think it’s a mid tone killer so far. I hunt zero mode, coin mode work great to if you’re not worried about gold at the time. I hope things turn around for you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
The old school advice used to be,, "It takes 100 hours on a new machine to hear what the machine is trying to tell you."
Put down a few coins of different denominations. Use both clad and silver. Run the coil over each coin separately and record each number. Repeat this in different mode settings. Note any differences. Pay attention to tones and the pitch of the tone. High pitch, silver. Mid tone, nickel.
Do the same with jewelry. If you have 14k and 18k, check for different numbers. Chains and bracelets can be a little harder to pick up than a ring but a slow and low approach should get you a signal.
If you hunt for 4 hours per hunt, it will take 25 hunts to reach 100 hours. Keep a log and you will be able to see your progress. Good luck and HH.
 
Last edited:
Giving up after 5 hours? Don't forget if the stuff ain't there your not going to find it. Give it time man! Your probably just used to your pro.
 
Most things can be tolerated given enough time; does not mean that you will enjoy it.

I never thought much of the Max when they announced it, but the AT line has built up one heck of a socially popular name.

If you do not like your machine, dump it and get what works for you.
 
Welcome to the forum cbeck8. I'd make sure of your return window first. Use it another week then return it if it isn't working out for you. Good luck.
 
I think its about getting out of your comfort zone. The AT max is a different machine with different nuances that you will have to learn. In time, you will become one with your machine and the universe will be complete. Until that time, try not to use it like the AT Pro. From what i understand, people who use the AT Gold are crossing over to the MAX with more ease.
 
I think its about getting out of your comfort zone. The AT max is a different machine with different nuances that you will have to learn. In time, you will become one with your machine and the universe will be complete. Until that time, try not to use it like the AT Pro. From what i understand, people who use the AT Gold are crossing over to the MAX with more ease.

I had the same comfort issue going from the GPX4500 to a GPZ.
 
You are not the first one that has said something like this.
 
I had the same comfort issue going from the GPX4500 to a GPZ.

Oddjob,
I too had to get comfortable on the GPZ back in 1985. :laughing7:
One of the nicest bikes I ever owned.

IMG_2004.webp
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom