Garrett AT Pro - Not Impressed

Matt1344

Dec 10, 2012
Huntington, WV
Detector(s) used
White's Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[I know that this is generally considered the most beloved detector which is why I couldn’t wait to use it.]

So I’ve put about 10 hours on the AT Pro (I know that’s not a lot), but so far I’m not impressed with anything it does that the cheaper detectors don’t (if that makes sense).

Maybe I just need a little more time on it or need to adjust some of the settings.

The search coil being larger than the one on my White’s which I had previously used, makes digging a nightmare. Each object rings in, in an area that is about a square foot. The pin pointer (on the detector) is useless when there are multiple objects in one area. With the AT Pro I’m digging holes three times the size and spending 5 to 10 x more time searching for the object.

The thing is all over the place with the sensitivity set higher, but the sensitivity seems to directly affect the search depth. You can’t take advantage of the deeper search depth (over 6 inches) if you don’t have the sensitivity up, but if you keep it up there seems to be too many false positives. I get coin range signals that go away. I get coin range signals when the detector is sitting still. There seems to be so many random signals that go away with this thing as well.

Speaking of depth, I laid a quarter on the surface of the ground and took the detector directly over it. It rang in at 2 inches (which is what it should do)…but then at 4 and 6 inches with the exact same motion going over the same spot. So basically the depth indicator means nothing.

Now on to the numeric metal values. The same coin could ring in (and does) at 7 different values or more. So what’s the point? Is a specific number from 70-99 really going to keep you from digging? The numeric values seem useless when there is so much inconsistency and such a wide range of values the exact same coin can ring.

WIT reminded me below, I've also found more bottle caps than EVER! Which has translated to probably 5 x more trash digs.

To me, every bell and every whistle on this thing isn’t worth the hassle…at least so far.

What are your thoughts, feel free to put me in my place/tell me what I’m doing wrong. So far using it, for me, has been very frustrating.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MasonRoberson

Aug 23, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Garret products! Love them!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It does take practice, bit I gave mine to one of my friends just to see how he would do and note he had never even used a detector before and he did okay with it I mean clearly he did not use VDI but the graphical display at the top is good for the beginner. Also do you dislike 3000$ minelabs just because they are hard to master also hell the Minelab has a werid vdi system and has like discrimination patterns ect....

Last edited:

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they are truly interested in treasure hunting they use one or more of only about 4 options, and under no circumstance do they publish videos or disclose their finds.

So somebody that discloses their finds and makes videos is not truly interested in treasure hunting? That is laughable logic. Not sure how anybody can take that seriously seeing as how this forum is full of people that do exactly that.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they are truly interested in treasure hunting they use one or more of only about 4 options, and under no circumstance do they publish videos or disclose their finds.

So somebody that discloses their finds and makes videos is not truly interested in treasure hunting? That is laughable logic. Not sure how anybody can take that seriously seeing as how this forum is full of people that do exactly that.

We know that isn't true as professional hunters report their finds, look at the two recent 1715 Treasure Fleet discoveries reported....

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For someone so well spoken you have not done your homework on the AT Pro. You are arguing to be arguing. Get into the conversation, do some research not a half cocked field test. The engineering into the AT Pro is why it performs so well. You could not keep the AT Pro a secret if you wanted too. Your novice observations on a proven detector only infuriate those who use the AT Pro. IMHO the iron discrimination on coin sized targets is the key to the AT Pro's success. The AT Pro has a very fast recovery time. Running at a frequency of 15khz makes the AT Pro very sensitive. Being a true waterproof detector makes this a very versatile machine. Having a number shoulder, I like the light weight design. The AT Pro also comes with headphones with volume control. You also forgot the best part, the AT Pro is American made. The AT Pro is the middle of the road detector which a novice or expert would have no problems using. Friend, place your sensitivity 3 bars from the top. Set Pro Zero mode. Set discrimination at 28 and leave it there. Now if you have ground balanced properly you will find clad all day lol. But found 4 rings 1st week with my new AT Pro so your results are not typical. As for serious treasure hunting, who uses a detector. It's a numbers game. You will dig so man Penn s to a ring. Now quit making lil girl sounds and get out there and have some fun.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for typos darn chineese spell correction.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
We know that isn't true as professional hunters report their finds, look at the two recent 1715 Treasure Fleet discoveries reported....

They have no choice, They are often accompanied by representatives of the state. On days that they are not, they know that they would go to prison for expropriation and breach of contract on the rumor that they fail to report a significant find.
Also those items directly benefit from being documented and tied to that particular infamous site.

Last edited:

BcuttinPlugs

Mar 6, 2014
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/fisher f2 garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Elpardon

I'm not arguing that point at all. I don't c how it takes 200 plus hours either

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
For someone so well spoken you have not done your homework on the AT Pro. You are arguing to be arguing. Get into the conversation, do some research not a half cocked field test. The engineering into the AT Pro is why it performs so well. You could not keep the AT Pro a secret if you wanted too. Your novice observations on a proven detector only infuriate those who use the AT Pro. IMHO the iron discrimination on coin sized targets is the key to the AT Pro's success. The AT Pro has a very fast recovery time. Running at a frequency of 15khz makes the AT Pro very sensitive. Being a true waterproof detector makes this a very versatile machine. Having a number shoulder, I like the light weight design. The AT Pro also comes with headphones with volume control. You also forgot the best part, the AT Pro is American made. The AT Pro is the middle of the road detector which a novice or expert would have no problems using. Friend, place your sensitivity 3 bars from the top. Set Pro Zero mode. Set discrimination at 28 and leave it there. Now if you have ground balanced properly you will find clad all day lol. But found 4 rings 1st week with my new AT Pro so your results are not typical. As for serious treasure hunting, who uses a detector. It's a numbers game. You will dig so man Penn s to a ring. Now quit making lil girl sounds and get out there and have some fun.

I think its replacement (which is currently being conceived) will be much improved.

MasonRoberson

Aug 23, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Garret products! Love them!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Overall if EL Padron does not want to use the amazing detector that is his problem all he is doing is missing out on a great machine. :)

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can they improve the AT Pro? I'm pretty certain the limits of the science has been met. Only thing I could see would be GPS, blue tooth, back lighted vdi, adjustable volume control, multiple frequency, programmable like the dues......like some of the new detectors. Minlab go find series comes to mind. But just a dolled up low frequency detector. I can not go back to m 6khz detectors.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Can they improve the AT Pro? I'm pretty certain the limits of the science has been met. Only thing I could see would be GPS, blue tooth, back lighted vdi, adjustable volume control, multiple frequency, programmable like the dues......like some of the new detectors. Minlab go find series comes to mind. But just a dolled up low frequency detector. I can not go back to m 6khz detectors.

The big three or 4 have the knowledge and capacity to improve their products. They also know that they don't have to spend the extra $4 a unit that it would require.
A huge consumer base will buy them anyway.
This is guaranteed by the strength of the advertising and community word of mouth (which is lead by the huge dealer network) .
Improvement will come when the manufacturers gain a higher perceived opinion and respect for their customers.
It will require just a slight higher cost in electronic components and better materials. It will also result in a smaller net then they have been historically accustomed to.
Lately there has been some improvement.

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you feel the makers are holding back for better profits as we are settling for a brand? I personally buy what works. To think they are putting out low quality on purpose, are you reading your post.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
So you feel the makers are holding back for better profits as we are settling for a brand? I personally buy what works. To think they are putting out low quality on purpose, are you reading your post.

They definitely hold back.
In most cases they use obsolete ten year old components. These components cost nothing. They are basically modern manufactured surplus.
The plastic control cases are comprised of the absolute cheapest material that will still hold a 1/2 inch fastener between a plastic cover and a purposely inadequate gasket.

The absolute other end of the spectrum is an Apple product. Just for illustrative purposes, pick up an I phone.
Its a miracle of modern technology.
Feel it in your hands. Its made of extremely high grade materials that were somewhat recently innovated.
Look at what it does and can do.
It features a semi modern processor. A miracle work horse.
An AT Pro features nothing like that, It doesn't have to. It's sold by cheesy advertising on websites, You Tube and community word of mouth by a dealer network whose answer to disappointed buyers is that they need to put in 200 hours of training.
It is marketed similarly to most other cheaply made under innovated obscenely overpriced models and brands.

Last edited:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
They definitely hold back.
In most cases they use obsolete ten year old components. These components cost nothing. They are basically modern manufactured surplus.
The plastic control cases are comprised of the absolute cheapest material that will still hold a 1/2 inch fastener between a plastic cover and a purposely inadequate gasket.

The absolute other end of the spectrum is an Apple product. Just for illustrative purposes, pick up an I phone.
Its a miracle of modern technology.
Feel it in your hands. Its made of extremely high grade materials that were somewhat recently innovated.
Look at what it does and can do.
It features a semi modern processor. A miracle work horse.
An AT Pro features nothing like that, It doesn't have to. It's sold by cheesy advertising on websites, You Tube and community word of mouth by a dealer network whose answer to disappointed buyers is that they need to put in 200 hours of training.
It is marketed similarly to most other cheaply made under innovated obscenely overpriced models and brands.

LOL, "just tell them they need to put in 200 hours of training"

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a 200 pound man. I hunt a lot, different types of hunting. Relics, coins, rings, bullets, meteorites, prospect and so on. A low quality item would not hold up or perform with me. Those cheesy forums are made up of regular people who are not compensated for their endorsements. You are thinking of you tube. You have compared the AT Pro to a airplane and a IPhone. You suggest it is cheaply made, but yet it is used by thousands. I don't see where w radar or magnetometer chip would help with VLF technology. I enjoy the hobby too much. But the comparison you should make is to the OKM detectors. Again, my AT Pro came out of the box ready to hunt. After borrowing a friends ATP I wanted something for my family. I use it myself, may even use it today. I hunt with guys who use top end detectors who also own the AT Pro. I say good luck to you in your next purchase.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a 200 pound man. I hunt a lot, different types of hunting. Relics, coins, rings, bullets, meteorites, prospect and so on. A low quality item would not hold up or perform with me. Those cheesy forums are made up of regular people who are not compensated for their endorsements. You are thinking of you tube. You have compared the AT Pro to a airplane and a IPhone. You suggest it is cheaply made, but yet it is used by thousands. I don't see where w radar or magnetometer chip would help with VLF technology. I enjoy the hobby too much. But the comparison you should make is to the OKM detectors. Again, my AT Pro came out of the box ready to hunt. After borrowing a friends ATP I wanted something for my family. I use it myself, may even use it today. I hunt with guys who use top end detectors who also own the AT Pro. I say good luck to you in your next purchase.

Its used (at least once) by HUNDREDS of thousands. They might have even sold several million of them.

200 hours of training is approaching an Associates degree.

Last edited:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi, is this customer service?
OK, yes, I'm not at all satisfied with my new lawn tractor

"Well that will be cured if you drive it around for two hundred more hours, have a good day......"

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are a slow learner... 3 things hurt most detectorist. Properly setting up the detector, coil swing, and research.

Most wont read the manual and don't have understand what the detector is telling them.

They see post of gold and silver coins and want instant gratification.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You are a slow learner... 3 things hurt most detectorist. Properly setting up the detector, coil swing, and research.

Most wont read the manual and don't have understand what the detector is telling them.

They see post of gold and silver coins and want instant gratification.

The AT pro is designed, conceived and built as a specific windfall device by Garret to be advertised and sold by the TV show "Diggers" to take advantage of a very specifically targeted end user base that typically purchased it for full price and used it once and never again.
Most unlike the OP are too proud and or ashamed to admit it's a actually very cheaply made piece of trash.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread