Garrett AT Pro - Not Impressed

Matt1344

Dec 10, 2012
Huntington, WV
Detector(s) used
White's Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[I know that this is generally considered the most beloved detector which is why I couldn’t wait to use it.]

So I’ve put about 10 hours on the AT Pro (I know that’s not a lot), but so far I’m not impressed with anything it does that the cheaper detectors don’t (if that makes sense).

Maybe I just need a little more time on it or need to adjust some of the settings.

The search coil being larger than the one on my White’s which I had previously used, makes digging a nightmare. Each object rings in, in an area that is about a square foot. The pin pointer (on the detector) is useless when there are multiple objects in one area. With the AT Pro I’m digging holes three times the size and spending 5 to 10 x more time searching for the object.

The thing is all over the place with the sensitivity set higher, but the sensitivity seems to directly affect the search depth. You can’t take advantage of the deeper search depth (over 6 inches) if you don’t have the sensitivity up, but if you keep it up there seems to be too many false positives. I get coin range signals that go away. I get coin range signals when the detector is sitting still. There seems to be so many random signals that go away with this thing as well.

Speaking of depth, I laid a quarter on the surface of the ground and took the detector directly over it. It rang in at 2 inches (which is what it should do)…but then at 4 and 6 inches with the exact same motion going over the same spot. So basically the depth indicator means nothing.

Now on to the numeric metal values. The same coin could ring in (and does) at 7 different values or more. So what’s the point? Is a specific number from 70-99 really going to keep you from digging? The numeric values seem useless when there is so much inconsistency and such a wide range of values the exact same coin can ring.

WIT reminded me below, I've also found more bottle caps than EVER! Which has translated to probably 5 x more trash digs.

To me, every bell and every whistle on this thing isn’t worth the hassle…at least so far.

What are your thoughts, feel free to put me in my place/tell me what I’m doing wrong. So far using it, for me, has been very frustrating.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 1444790284168.jpg
    1444790284168.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 174

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll go back and find ringywith one too if you want. There isn't a garrett anywhere but there are explorers and a whites.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Fisher detector, a Whites pin pointer, a lesche digger. I also use a ATP. My point is we use what works. I would never have bought a AT Pro if I wasn't forced to use one. I say they use AT Pro's because they are fun fun fun. I like el pardon but disagree with him on this point.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i think that most that push a certain brand detector even here on Tnet and that is all they push one brand ... Use other detectors but do not want any one to know

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i think that most that push a certain brand detector even here on Tnet and that is all they push one brand ... Use other detectors but do not want any one to know

Kind of like a nascar driver currently driving a Chevy isn't going to talk about when he used to drive a Ford. If you watch the video they both were using explorers.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you could(if recorded)show me using an mxt,a vaquero and an f75....never owned any of em.liked them but not my cup of tea for differant reasons.spent two weeks swinging an etrac...not mine...didnt go that way on next purchase but thot it was a good machine.hated the balance or might have had one.
seeing someone swing differant detectors give them credence for me.hate the fanboy mentality.but ask yourself this....have you ever swung a detector you didnt own?They have claimed their ownership record and who am I to discount it.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you could(if recorded)show me using an mxt,a vaquero and an f75....never owned any of em.liked them but not my cup of tea for differant reasons.spent two weeks swinging an etrac...not mine...didnt go that way on next purchase but thot it was a good machine.hated the balance or might have had one.
seeing someone swing differant detectors give them credence for me.hate the fanboy mentality.but ask yourself this....have you ever swung a detector you didnt own?They have claimed their ownership record and who am I to discount it.

It's looks like they were using minelabs and all that footage was not just one day. I'm guessing the interview was after they became Garrett dealers and basically garrett sponsored. Of course they are not going to talk about using minelabs. You did say NEVER.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of things I want out of the ATP that I do not get is a fast recovery speed. I get a signal and immediately want to sweep it again but have to wait for the screen to clear. It seems if I do fast sweeps like you do with the old beep machines the digital machine does not keep up. I also hate having to look at the screen. I have something set wrong where I am not getting the iron grunt and the high audible on brass or say silver anymore. The screen reads it very slowly.:dontknow:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't have a horse in this race, but anaconda treasures dot com has this under "which detector?" Q and A for the guys:

Garrett/Minelab/Fisher/Whites/etc. There are lots of different and excellent brands of machines that are capable of finding buried objects. There will be no tolerance on our sites for bashing another detectorist for his choice of metal detector brand. (Unless, of course, it's really funny). Team ATC uses a variety of brands and models. Yeah, we're a Garrett dealership, but we don't discriminate (pun intended). We have, and continue to use, several different brands. The guys here in Montana can help you with questions about certain Garrett, Minelab, and White's detectors. For advice on other brands, we recommend you talk to an expert user of that particular brand.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of better hunters on here with out TV shows that can truthfully answer questions without worrying about their paid sponsors. I do not think there is any better group of detectorist anywhere then what gathers in "Todays Finds"

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
its personal preference and you may have gotten a lemon like someone else said. 10 hours into me learnin mine i wasnt impressed either...until about 50-60 hours i really started liking it. I could hear and tell if there bottle caps or no in pro mode Zero. Dont give up on it just yet. you can read the owners manual online and watch some youtube vids...i think once u put more time in u might like it! if not well...its not for everyone...

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I've had my AT pro 3 yrs and had no problems. I have mine dunked in the water all the time. Had the stock coil go bad after about a year and that's when I bought the 5/8 coil and haven't gone back to the stock since. Great machine has found me many gold and silver rings.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tnmountains,
It sounds like a reset is in order 1st.turn on then hold power button untill tou hear it beep,about 5 secs.Then try pro mode zero,iron at 25 and test on known targets.If you still arent getting good results call garrett.The atp is pretty darned fast and it sure sounds like somethings wrong.let us know.also it seems happiest when after ground balancing you manually lower the setting by 5.sens one bar down from top.

these are my mtn.settings and I have been very happy with performance.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of things I want out of the ATP that I do not get is a fast recovery speed. I get a signal and immediately want to sweep it again but have to wait for the screen to clear. It seems if I do fast sweeps like you do with the old beep machines the digital machine does not keep up. I also hate having to look at the screen. I have something set wrong where I am not getting the iron grunt and the high audible on brass or say silver anymore. The screen reads it very slowly.:dontknow:

Are you in PRO zero mode? Did you make sure iron audio is turned OFF and iron discrimination is set to zero mode?

I've accidentally turned off pro mode, or turned on iron audio with iron disc set at zero. Both embarrassing moments.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted today, found a silver necklace and a pendant. I use Pro custom, disc at 35, sens 3 bars from the top with a 5x8 coil.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread