Garrett At pro sent in for repairs

ultraflight77

Dec 24, 2010
South bend,Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Tesoro Compadre
I finally got a chance to do some detecting with my AT Pro I bought back in late December' its been a long winter here in northern Indiana!!!,I have been following the topics on the AT pro falsing closely. One thing I noticed with mine right away out in the field far away from any interference was how chattery in was when it was slightly turned or bumped in the pro mode(6 bar sensitivity),one thing I did notice is if it was bumped into something on the ground it would false and hit in the 87-88 silver range.I contacted Garrett and they said its a sensitive detector,but send it in if you would like. I sent it in because I have read where others have done it and theirs came back working quietly.I love this detector already and have found a silver dime the other day(2nd hunt with it) I just don't want to be annoyed with the chatter when using it. I guess I got a early one? I will post how it goes when I get it back. Garretts customer service is Great! They offered to express ship it back so I can get back to detecting quick! :headbang:

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how they are fixing these units ? Are they down tuning it as it is two sensitive .
But glad they are getting it back to you quickly , that makes it easier not to have to wait for a long time !

OP
OP
ultraflight77

ultraflight77

Dec 24, 2010
South bend,Indiana
Detector(s) used
Daedalus said:
I wonder how they are fixing these units ? Are they down tuning it as it is two sensitive .
But glad they are getting it back to you quickly , that makes it easier not to have to wait for a long time !

In most cases they are replacing the coil and doing something inside the box from what I've read,I have read from others returning their AT Pro claim to have no loss of sensitivity and even claim an 1" more sensitivity.

RWJR13

Apr 25, 2007
MESQUITE, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT & Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They will fix you up.. :thumbsup:...No sensitivity is turned down....

spiral

Greenie
Feb 23, 2010
Tn
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/TEKNETICS OMEGA
I don't think they are "down tuning" the units.I sent mine in and it for sure had a bad coil but they also took my control box apart.The coil was bad and I could tell by the way it pinpointed.But, if the coil was the only problem with mine, why did they take the control box apart? :dontknow:
Since I have gotten mine back I cannot tell that I have lost any sensitivity what so ever in the field or air tests.It still goes DEEP.I've had small targets(22 bullets and small pieces of foil) at a measured 8" to 10".I've dug some larger targets up to my elbow :icon_thumright:..
I don't know for sure what they are doing inside the control box but I don't think they are turning the sensitivity down..

OP
OP
ultraflight77

ultraflight77

Dec 24, 2010
South bend,Indiana
Detector(s) used
I found this from another post,if you read it says there is a modification being performed but it does'nt describe the details of it ??? . I will pass it on if they tell me. I hope it comes back working as it should since the weather is getting nicer here,Im ready to find more silver and gold!!!

Attachments

• garrettletter.jpg
    garrettletter.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 2,195

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
We have seen ATpro air testing videos published by Garrett. We have seen detailed air test data posted by respected members. We know if our machine has been lobotomized. If I have my sense set at full (8/8) in the house, I get a beautiful chatter from the machine saying "I am a deep son-of-a-beach".

OP
OP
ultraflight77

ultraflight77

Dec 24, 2010
South bend,Indiana
Detector(s) used
spiral said:
I don't think they are "down tuning" the units.I sent mine in and it for sure had a bad coil but they also took my control box apart.The coil was bad and I could tell by the way it pinpointed.But, if the coil was the only problem with mine, why did they take the control box apart? :dontknow:
Since I have gotten mine back I cannot tell that I have lost any sensitivity what so ever in the field or air tests.It still goes DEEP.I've had small targets(22 bullets and small pieces of foil) at a measured 8" to 10".I've dug some larger targets up to my elbow :icon_thumright:..
I don't know for sure what they are doing inside the control box but I don't think they are turning the sensitivity down..

Is your At pro quiet now? Did it chirp every time it was turned or slightly bumped? Mine is that way,but it does seem very accurate on coins.I did'nt want to be picky by sending it in but I just did'nt feel it should be chirping for the slightest bump or turn or even touching the coil wire,that is'nt normal operation for me.

spiral

Greenie
Feb 23, 2010
Tn
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/TEKNETICS OMEGA
Yes, it is very quiet now.It will still beep if I hit a rock or small sapling and it gets stopped abruptly(it has to be a hard stop though)
but all my machines will do that if running high sensitivity.Mine would false when I did the wiggle and swinging it even with sensitivity cut down to 3..
The biggest problem I had was pinpointing.In PP mode moving the coil North to South it would signal from the coil mount to the tip of the coil, but moving from South to North as soon as the target got behind the coil mount it would lose the signal completely.Now the coil will signal from tip to tail in PP mode..
I could also tap lightly around the coil connection on the plastic housing of the control box and it would false.It still seemed to hunt good, but it was really annoying.Now it is a pleasure to hunt with and it goes as DEEP as it did before and still seems just as sensitive to very small/tiny targets. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
ultraflight77

ultraflight77

Dec 24, 2010
South bend,Indiana
Detector(s) used
spiral said:
Yes, it is very quiet now.It will still beep if I hit a rock or small sapling and it gets stopped abruptly(it has to be a hard stop though)
but all my machines will do that if running high sensitivity.Mine would false when I did the wiggle and swinging it even with sensitivity cut down to 3..
The biggest problem I had was pinpointing.In PP mode moving the coil North to South it would signal from the coil mount to the tip of the coil, but moving from South to North as soon as the target got behind the coil mount it would lose the signal completely.Now the coil will signal from tip to tail in PP mode..
I could also tap lightly around the coil connection on the plastic housing of the control box and it would false.It still seemed to hunt good, but it was really annoying.Now it is a pleasure to hunt with and it goes as DEEP as it did before and still seems just as sensitive to very small/tiny targets. :icon_thumright:
Thanks for replying :D Yours was doing exactly what mine was doing,Your right almost every machine will false if bumped abruptly,but mine was falsing to the slightest movement and even when I found a target,just grabbing the shaft to set the detector down it was falsing.I'm glad yours is working right for you now :hello2: I'm looking fowarding to getting mine back. :headbang: Happy hunting

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spiral said:

It is possible they took the control box apart to retune it to the newer coil.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, Garrett is really checking them out good! Making sure everything is good working condition.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
In mild soil the pro should be considered in the top five (or so) for depth. In the ferrous, top 6 (or so). But really we are truly only talkin' an inch, over a broad scan of lets say 12" on a silver quarter. I can afford a 1200 or 1500 bean coin retriever. But the pro you can swim with. I did the math.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
ultraflight77 said:
I finally got a chance to do some detecting with my AT Pro I bought back in late December' its been a long winter here in northern Indiana!!!,I have been following the topics on the AT pro falsing closely. One thing I noticed with mine right away out in the field far away from any interference was how chattery in was when it was slightly turned or bumped in the pro mode(6 bar sensitivity),one thing I did notice is if it was bumped into something on the ground it would false and hit in the 87-88 silver range.I contacted Garrett and they said its a sensitive detector,but send it in if you would like. I sent it in because I have read where others have done it and theirs came back working quietly.I love this detector already and have found a silver dime the other day(2nd hunt with it) I just don't want to be annoyed with the chatter when using it. I guess I got a early one? I will post how it goes when I get it back. Garretts customer service is Great! They offered to express ship it back so I can get back to detecting quick! :headbang:

You sent your highly sensitive state-of-the-art metal detector in for repairs because it was chattery in the upper range of sense?
You sir have changed my mind, I'm buying another. I just did not see the light I guess.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
ultra, I am sorry, I am doing it again. Let's be honest, you know, to everyone. Was there something wrong with your machine? You know what I mean. If my machine was not chattery and if it did not false on a knock now and again, I would be thinking I was operating a geiger counter. What it your game?

OP
OP
ultraflight77

ultraflight77

Dec 24, 2010
South bend,Indiana
Detector(s) used
Yes I believe there was something wrong with it,I have seen videos of others without all the noise,they used theirs aggressively and it was silent.I'm pretty gentle with mine and it kinda sounded like a geiger counter >:( I'm not trying to knock Garrett in any way,This is my 2nd Garrett and I'm sure it won't be my last.Garrett will get it right I'm sure! :icon_thumleft:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yessiree ultra. Good going! You just stated that you use videos of others using a machine to judge your machine. End of topic.

OP
OP
ultraflight77

ultraflight77

Dec 24, 2010
South bend,Indiana
Detector(s) used
I've had several detectors and none of them did this,I've only owned 1 AT pro, I just want mine to be silent unless I have metal under the coil is all I'm saying!What are you trying say ?????? I'm wrong for wanting a good stable machine?

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
If yer shootin bear, not much trash, set the sense high and go for it. You will get a bit of chatter, it is good and indicates high sense in a machine. You want depth, you got it, chatter is a must. Do not forget gb, very important, it will reduce back-talk alot, from "hot" areas, like rusty remains from nails and such. You will be glad your machine chatters a bit at high sense. You got a hot machine. If you dont like a high sense machine, steer clear of the pro. Anyway, ultra, what is the verdict, what did Garrett say about your particular problem with your particular machine? Everyone wants to know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread