Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe snooksion2 was only referring to its application at the beach and wasn't referring to anyplace else. I don't know. :dontknow:

I notice it uses the same coil as on the Ace 350 and it looks pretty big. Has anyone tried it? Is it unwieldy?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to wait until I'm done moving, get settled in, then I'm going to drive over to KellyCo and "probably" buy one. I figure it's worth a shot to give it a fair try, see for myself if it fits it's billing. If so, I got a lot of machine for half the cost. If not, then I'll probably go with an Excal and a WOT and call it, "end game".

One thing I'm still curious about is the battery life? :dontknow:

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
He is not knocking you or any detectorist. What he is saying is that the AT is basically a waterproofed Ace 250-350, low end waterproofed machine and is designed primarily for entry level water hunters who mostly wade. Take it out into the deep surf and really what good are all the buttons and displays? Will I buy one-No and for the same reason that I would not buy a ACE 250-350. Do I dislike Garrett-No, I have an Infinium and a Sea Hunter MK2 & also several excals & a BH300. Maybe a seasoned pro might buy one but I seriously doubt it would be their no1 water detector for the salt. Fresh water hunting is a lot less demanding of your equipment and the AT will probably work very well in that environment,after all people are still buying Cobra and Vipers .... time will tell

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whenever something new comes along these debates rage on & on. Truth is, only time will tell. But one thing's for certain, until you actually get it in your hands and spend some with it, you'll really never know much about it until there's enough feedback on the machine from sources you trust. :dontknow:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I consider myself a seasoned hunter, maybe to salty too. I am looking forward to playing with the AT Pro but will never give up my Excal. I don't use PI's much anymore because of all the digging I can't do. We have to learn to use what we can afford and I am lucky in being able to afford lots of toys. I am also a gadget freak and need to learn the new kid on the beach before I croak.

Will the AT Pro do well at the saltwater beach, yes and no, depending on the location and amout of black sand and salt concentrations at the time. Nobody said the beaches would be consistent everywhere. The advantage as I see it is being able to tell a coin from most pull tabs so you can scoop the pull tabs only and leave the coins for the newbies. The tones of the CZ-20/21 and Excal and couple others do this with tones and the larger coil on the AT Pro will make it seem like a killer to the Mr. Beach Metal Detector Guy.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Maybe U should read my post again and perhaps this time U will understand it & FYI I was water hunting BEFORE there were water detectors. Don't C to many listed under your profile

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We all know, no single detector is the best machine for all hunting environments, given that, I think Garrett set out to produce a machine that will fit the needs of the widest ranging market. It is not a specialty machine designed specifically for one environment or the other, but rather it appears to be a machine that was designed to handle a lot of variety. Personally, I don't think it is a question as to weather it will challenge the Excal, the CZ's, the P.I.'s, Infiniums, etc., I don't think it will and don't really expect it to, but I do think, because of it's versitility, "it could prove to be" a nice machine to have in the mix, or a nice choice for the guy on a budget who wants to hunt a wide variety of environments. But here again, only time will tell. :dontknow:

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
I get it i was hunting longer than others i have all these high cost detectors so that makes me better.....then others that don't have high cost detectors.or just started hunting..

Just proves my point: if you R A hard core pro & U hunt the salt you will have the high end detectors because it does make U better & gives U the edge.
When U get a bit more experienced U will understand
Do U run a VW bug at Daytona 500?
THE END.....

Attachments

• smiley_faces.jpg
    smiley_faces.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 1,470
  • smiley_faces.jpg
    smiley_faces.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 1,467

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh the E drama.... It's interesting I will give you that, but as you experienced beach waist to chest deep water hunters know, most of the falsing is in the froth and waves... If your not the timid 4 times a year the the beach joe... and have a good scoop, it just may work.... but I'm not holdin my breath...

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hawk-run said:
That is why you will always find Garretts , Whites , And Tesoro service superior to Minelabs and Fisher minelab and Fisher are big Corporations now and big corporations :angry4: :angry5: Do not always give good service.

sorry, but fisher has great service!!!!!! i dont know about garrett whites or tesoro since i have no experiance with them.....have you???

have you ever tried to hunt saltwater with a single freq vlf???

KANDO........no-one has said anything that should have ticked you off!!!!! they know which detectors will work well in the salt and wich wont! and the ones that will work just happen to be fairly expensive. in salt it either works or it doesnt.

this new garrett is sure getting alot of buzz for a single freq vlf :dontknow: might be good for freshwater but i seriously doubt it in salt.
i must admit , i always thought i wanted a waterproof machine with a display but with experience i have become a dig it all guy and now have no interest in such a unit.

D

digum smacks

i wasnt trying to be "snobby".just making the point that this machine will not be good for saltwater hunting.tell you what will you use it for relic hunting?if you are a seasoned pro you probably wouldnt,like i said even i would like to "piddle" around with this machine.it reminds me of my whites bhid 300 except it has digital desplay.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Keppy said:
What this is a waterproof VLF detector Garrett at one time made a VLF waterproof detector called the AT3 & a latter one the AT4......... And a lot a big lot of hunters wanted Garrett to make something like the early AT's..................................... And he listened to the we wanted and came out with the AT Pro..... And i don't see how you can knock something so hard that you really know nothing about yet ...... I know a lot don't care for Garrett .............. But then there is a lot that like Garrett...........

Exactly right ... the AT4 was a good water detector that many wanted to see Garrett bring back ...
the AT PRO is the result.
If it works as good as the older AT4 then it will be a success.
If it works better then it will be a smash hit.
I certainly intend to buy one to try out this summer and am very glad to see Garrett moving forward with its product line.
Cant wait to see what other new offerings they have in store for us.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just glad to see Garrett coming out with new machines. A long time ago they were serious competitors in the market, then they went stagant for quite a while. The Ace 250 really brought them back, so I am glad to see them rolling out a new model. I hope it's as good as is should be.

Not all water hunting involves the ocean!

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
The AT will be a great detector no it may not be the choice for water hunting the salt. But it has many more features than the 250 or the 350 most folks that have had one to test are comparing it to the fisher f75 which is not a shabby detector and it will be water proof to boot. I am 100% sure you will be able to make it work in the wet sand at the beach may not be as good as the excal there but won't be as bad as some. I just sold my excal not because it is a bad detector but because of the horror stories I have heard about minelab and there service of late. I also have a Aquasound which at the beaches I hunt beats the excal for depth and discrimination. For fresh water it will be better than the excal no bottle cap digging and more sensitive to small gold. So it has it's place and for the money will be a great value. Am I getting one you bet I am. I have been digging for years and have a lot of detectors. This is the first one I have been excited about in a long time.

Jason

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think too many old salts saw the words "waterproof" and "metal detector used together. Then instantly put it into the wet/surf catagory. I looked at it that way too when i first heard about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread