Garrett carrot or Garrett Pro Pointer ll ?

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tnet brethren, I'm going to pop for a new/back-up pinpointer, and just want to put this out there...I love my Garrett Propointer but I would very much appreciate some feedback from those who own one or both of these pinpointers. Heck, even if you know of a different unit that is da bomb...throw that out there too! Thx Very much In advance...Ddf

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tnet brethren, I'm going to pop for a new/back-up pinpointer, and just want to put this out there...I love my Garrett Propointer but I would very much appreciate some feedback from those who own one or both of these pinpointers. Heck, even if you know of a different unit that is da bomb...throw that out there too! Thx Very much In advance...Ddf

Good Question ! I was just Contemplating the same thing This Morning.
I see the carrot has adjustments. on a Pinpointer, I'm not sure I want
to have to Play with Adjustments . But I do like the color better for when I drop it.
Expect in the fall of course when many Leaves are Orange :laughing7:

so The Carrot is Orange. That's a plus

the ll Is cheaper. That's a Plus

The Carrot is Adjustable.
that's a Negative

The ll is black
That's a negative

I'm Tied :tongue3:

maybe the ll & Glow in the dark Paint zinc-orange-glow-in-the-dark-paint.jpg

of Course if I could get a SUN RAY X-1 TARGET PROBE for $100.00 that would solve everything :unhappysmiley:

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The carrot has a different switch.. you have to hold it down, until it beeps, to shut it off. This takes a bit of practice, if you are used to just pushing the button. the switch needs this feature to allow it to make the other adjustments.

The carrot works fine, just differently then the original ProPointer.

The color is good, but waterproof is the selling point. Mine gets muddy and wet sometimes, and I'd hate to ruin one due to water issues.

I don't think you can really "go wrong". It's not that hard to adapt to the carrot, if it was, I would have given up on it long ago.

GL brother!

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I have both. The carrot is the newest. No problems with either. The carrot does go under water. I never use the adjustments. Just turn on and turn off.

OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx guys! Appreciate the help...my hunting bud has a Carrot and it seems quite a bit more sensitive than my Pro Pointer, and while like JeffofPa, I don't want to monkey with a bunch of adjustments, does the Carrot have just a basic on/off feature? Thx again...ya'll are great! Ddf

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes it does. Like I said click it on and click it off. I think you need to double click or something to get different features. Didn't read that, wasn't interested.

Primus Palus

Apr 3, 2017
Denver, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Waterproofing is what sold me on the pointer. I don't drip a ton of underwater stuff (none in fact) but that off chance I drop it in a creek or puddle or get a massive rainstorm... I want that protection.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I had the Garrett pinpointer, the original as far as I know.

I bought the Carrot and compared them. The original picked up a signal at 2" + a little, and the Carrot picks up the signal consistently at 3". I prefer the carrot!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had both and the carrot is adjustable to the point that, for me, it's too far away from the target and I have to really start searching the hole which takes longer. So I keep the carrot set on the second setting.
As mentioned waterproof is a plus. Good luck!

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a carrot and love it. It can be used as a straight on/off. The other features are just adjustments for sensitivity. It also has an auto off feature after giving warning beeps (for an hour, I think). Useful feature if you tend to set things down and have to go back and look for them.

OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all!! Well, it appears unanimous...anybody on here have a Garrett Carrot and a Nel coil for my ATP!?....Thanks again, I knew I could count on you guys...Ddf

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
RustyGold You do realize that you can easily dial back the sensitivity while it is beeping away just by hitting the switch once. Get closer yet and dial it back again. Practice this with the carrot in high sensitivity and you'll see and it is really quite easy to do.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You likely have made up your mind already, but I will "beep" in for a second here if I may.

I've had both version, standard and waterproof, and would go with the waterproof every time no questions.

I'm an all day hunter no matter the weather, so if my regular Garrett pinpointer gets wet, it gets ruined. So for a few extra bucks it makes all the sense in the world to me.

The settings are quite simple to get used too.........but you just have to remember how when you are out in the field.

I have sometimes held the button down too long and changed settings, I have hit the button to quickly and turned my sensitivity way down and then couldn't find a garbage can lid at 1/2 an inch, but it's all a practice thing.

The bonus to the multiple settings is that you can have audio or vibrate or both.

If you are a night hunter and don't want to draw attention to yourself, it's nice to have just a vibrate mode.

Also a plus is when you are looking for a target in hard packed dirt and you aren't quite sure where it is, you can turn up the sensitivity on the carrot and it will go deeper and help you locate your find.

Once you've got your find in your pouch, then you just quickly and easily adjust your pointer back to its normal settings.

I use the mid range as I find it gives me the best of both worlds.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had waterproofed my black Garrett--years ago I wrote Garrett and told them they should make a water proof one
said they could sell just as many over - don't know if they got my email or not - but love my "carrot"
was on a relic hunt and was pulling up 3 ringers in a swamp where I was able to stick the carrot into the holes
and pull them out with ease

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread