NCHornet

Feb 28, 2013
Mayberry RFD, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Grand Master Hunter CXIII
Sun King Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I dug the Grand Master Hunter CXIII out of the closet and went out in the yard for a few minutes yesterday. I haven't used it since getting it back from Garrett for a tune up several years ago. Garrett gave me a brand new Crossfire coil and made me a deal that was to good to turn down on a smaller hot head coil that I have still never used. I had to give up detecting several years ago due to health issues but it sure felt good to swing it again. Although I need to rig up a sling because it doesn't take long for my lower back to start hurting. Enough small talk, on to what I found in less than a hour in my yard.

photo_zpsf8141aec.jpg

I have found several of these square nails where the old house use to stand. The next item I have no idea what it is. It has a mushroom head that comes from striking it hard with a hammer. There are three holes that you can see on one side. The meter was showing it at 5 inches but it was over a foot deep. Next item is a old fire engine matchbox truck. The item that looks like a wheel is probably off of a kids toy, or it could be a knob found on machines. There were some small areas of red paint on it so I believe the toy idea is probably correct. Then some clad coins. The quarter was a 1965, I was really hoping that I had found my first silver coin, but IIRC the cut off was 1964 and below, is this correct? Here are some more pics.

photo_zpsfa848588.jpg

photo_zps509f953d.jpg

The round object just above the matchbox truck appears to be some type of old pin or something? On one end you can still see a small section of the pin that would have gone through your clothing.

Well that's it, nothing spectacular, but it sure proved to me that the CXIII is still a very, very good detector. I had the depth turned down to 4 inches and I was still getting hits over a foot deep. Whatever that tech did when I sent it in sure seems to of worked. These were all found in the traditional red clay that is known in this part of the country. Hunting was done in all metal mode, with the talking feature on OFF!!!! Hope everyone has a good day, thanks for looking. :D
I am excited to be getting back into detecting, lots of good places to hunt around me.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
that is cool man!! it feels good to just get out and dig something and hear the detector talk doesn't it?

You are 100% correct. I spent 8 months on my back in a hospital bed being fed by a tube in my stomach. Never thought I would ever get to hunt again, but God is a Awesome God and here I am!!!!! Ready or Not, lol!!!!!!

Going to hunt the graveyard on my property, head stones date back to early 1800's .

:hello2: Glad you had a great hunt! And yes '64 was the last year for silver coins. except for Kennedy halves which were 40% silver from '65 to I believe '69 or '70.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back