Garrett GTAx

mudd1242

Greenie
Feb 17, 2005
Charleston, WV
Detector(s) used
MXT, Troy Shadow, Gemni Three
Make sure you are ground balanced for the area you are hunting. Don't swing the coil like a pendulum and keep over lapping your sweeps. I am assuming you are using the stock coil on the GTA 750. It just might be that the area your searching doesn't have many coins deeper than 4 inches too. If you are using a coil cover, remove it and clean it out and reinstall. Sometimes black sand gets inside and causes this. are you still using the standard coil bolt that came with the detector? I usually change these to a nylon bolt and nut.

If all this fails to build confidence, ship it back to Garrett for a check up. Good Luck.

Sandman

Thanks for the sound advice Sandman. Most of these things I have already tried. It came with a plastic bolt and nut. Most of the time I use the standard coil but at times I use a 5" or a 12" coil with the same results. Your last bit of advice may be my best bet. I think I will send it back and get it checked out. Thanks again for the very good tips.
Mudd1242

I got a GTP 1350 not long ago and was getting pretty much the same as you. Rarely found anything deeper than about 3 to 4 inches. I did some searching and reading in this and other forums and found an interesting post. I'm not sure if this will work for you but it sure worked for me.

1. The origional instructions say to wrap the cable over the stem all the up to the box. Instead, strap in down (with tape or velcro (I found some velcro straps that work great)) straight up the lower stem. At about mid way up you can wrap it around.

2. The 1350 has a "threshold" setting. At first I thought this was an audio threshold but now I'm convinced it a depth threshold. It has to be just barely audible in the head phones. (the lower the better)

3. Set the sensitivity up all the way. If it really unstable at that point, back it off a notch until it's stable.

Like I said, I don't know if it will work for you but after doing these things, the same week I pulled out a 1926 D Merc and a 1947 D Quarter. The quarter was 6 inches down and the Merc was 8 inches.

On another note: I was born and raised in the Charleston, WV area. Nice to see someone from home on here!

Good to hear from you Eric. This is one bit of advice that I have not tried yet. You can bet we will try it first chance we get. If you get to Charleston some time get in touch with me and maybe we can get a little hunt in.Thanks again Eric and I will try to get back to you on your tip after we try it.
MUDD1242

I can only speak for the GTP 1350. I comes with the 7X10 Rhino coil and I got the 10X14 DD coil as well. Both work well with the usual trade-offs.

I know what you mean about the deep trash. I got a signal just the other day and it bounced from a penny to pull tab to nickle over and over but was about 6 inches down. I dug it and it was my first IH! Can't just overlook deep trash :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back