Garrett Pro-Pinpointer - How small o af nugget will it sound off on?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Garrett Pro-Pinpointer - How small of nugget will it sound off on?

Just received the Garrett Pro-Pinpointer I had ordered from Bart, and after reading through
the manual (yes, some people actually read it..:tongue3:) I fired it up and did a few
tests on assorted small metal objects. It sounded off like a fire alarm on anything from a
BB to larger coins, but when I set a small, .095 gr. nugget under it it doesn't make a peep.
Picked the picker up in my hand, and if I pushed the front edge right by the tip against the
picker I would get a few chirps, but nothing consistent.

Made me wonder of this was just too small of a nugget/picker for the probe to locate, or
should it be able to pick it up?

No doubt it will be invaluable for coin/relic hunting, but how large of a nugget is needed
before the probe sounds off?

New GB Pro will be here tomorrow, and I leave Sunday so there will be very little time
for us to "get acquainted". Any tips on the use of this critter in pinpointing nuggets?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I honestly don't know any nuggetshooters that use the Garrett pinpointer. Most of us use our hand or a plastic scoop and just run it over the coil of our machines. Some guys use the Falcon MD20. Good luck!

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like most guys I use my scoop to find the little nuggets. I will have to try my Pro Pointer out on some smaller nuggets out of curiosity but gram sounds about right.

I do carry a Pro Pointer when I am Minelabbing. I sometimes punch straight down and when I think I am on a larger nugget I worry about putting the pick into the nugget. So I will probe ahead as I dig and have found a number of larger nuggets this way. Also, I get tricked by junk items now and then with my Minelab. Elongated items will pinpoint off the end, and I find myself digging to China when the spike or whatever it is is actually in the wall of my excavation. This is where the pinpointer comes in real handy now and then.

The main problem is a GPX will pick a Garrett Pinpointer up at some distance so it needs to be kept in my rear pocket or better yet upper pocket pouch of my backpack. I wondered a bit why I was getting a signal every time I swung left until I figured out it was my pinpointer in my trash pouch.

Long story short not a necessity by any means but useful enough I do keep one on me when using the GPX. The photo below is of a 1.26 oz nugget I found with the aid of the Pro Pointer.

P1000529.jpg

Last edited:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just received the Garrett Pro-Pinpointer I had ordered from Bart, and after reading through
the manual (yes, some people actually read it..:tongue3:) I fired it up and did a few
tests on assorted small metal objects. It sounded off like a fire alarm on anything from a
BB to larger coins, but when I set a small, .095 gr. nugget under it it doesn't make a peep.
Picked the picker up in my hand, and if I pushed the front edge right by the tip against the
picker I would get a few chirps, but nothing consistent.

Made me wonder of this was just too small of a nugget/picker for the probe to locate, or
should it be able to pick it up?

No doubt it will be invaluable for coin/relic hunting, but how large of a nugget is needed
before the probe sounds off?

New GB Pro will be here tomorrow, and I leave Sunday so there will be very little time
for us to "get acquainted". Any tips on the use of this critter in pinpointing nuggets?

Hi , Remember a trick that coins hunters once told me. I have tried the trick on both a minelab and garret pointers. As an example i have used a .3 piece of gold. Turn the pointer on and run a copper coin down the handle till you just start to get a noise , Back the coin off just a little until you have silence . Pass your pinpointer over the piece of gold while holding the coin in position. You should get a better signal. tape the coin onto the handle when out hunting. Remember always to restart the pin pointer each time you use it. Let us know how this goes. Garret pointer drives gpx's insane when switched off . I wouldn,t have one near me. Minelab pinpointer is fine when switched off but switch on you have the same problem. If you ever going to use a pinpointer with a gpx , Turn machine off or swing coil well away from found target and turn the gain down.

tinpan

Attachments

• 100_2592.jpg
    100_2592.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 268
  • 100_2591.jpg
    100_2591.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 258
  • 100_2590.jpg
    100_2590.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:

rjtyree

Greenie
Sep 24, 2011
Super tunning your pro pointer is the way to go!
I have air tested this trick and in the field and it generally doubles
the detection depth! It makes a big difference on small and bigger nuggets.
There is another trick to de tune it also in case you need to pinpoint ttighter like in a hole with multiple
targets.

Since grounds conditions change, i don't use tape because the tunning changes and you have to move the
position of the coin etc. what I do is wear a gold ring (silver works good too) and I just slide my hand up or
down a little to tune as mentioned above. Once you try this the pro pointer becomes a very powerful
recovery tool of your favorite target...Nuggets !!

Cheers !!

Tye

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread