Garrett Support - Factory Service on 1250

harpua

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2006
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1250
I've had my 1250 for 3 or 4 years now and it is out of warranty. Well recently it just refused to power on. Tried a few batches of new batteries to no avail. Look's like it is pretty easy (according to their website) to send it back and have it fixed. Any comments on Garrett's support and turn around time? Cost? Has anyone had experience with them? It would be nice to get it back before the snow starts flying in a month or so.

Davisdog

Jul 18, 2006
Spanaway, WA
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3300
I have a GTAx550 that was misbehaving. I used the online service form and sent it in. Within two weeks, I had it back working fine.

They had to replace the touchpad, a wire, and do some calibrating. Total cost including shipping was less than $70.

Before they started work, they called me with their evaluation for my approval. Very easy to deal with.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I once traded for a 2yr old Scorpian.I sent it in for evaluation.They called the day after they got it said they found nothing wrong.They paid the return shipping and threw in a new coil mounting bolt--no charge!Had it back within the same wk.I'm in MO.

OP
OP
H

harpua

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2006
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1250
Well I'm not a happy camper....I sent my 1250 in for repairs, they called relatively quickly with the diagnosis and I recieved it back under two weeks for about $80.....however......it still doesn't work. I've tried new batteries, but still no power. Guess I'll be calling them in the morning. Not sure that I want to send it back in with shipping and all. Seems like my money may be better spent towards a new detector. I was hoping to get a few more hunts in before the snow flies, but not so sure I will now.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
harpua said:
Well I'm not a happy camper....I sent my 1250 in for repairs, they called relatively quickly with the diagnosis and I received it back under two weeks for about $80.....however......it still doesn't work. I've tried new batteries, but still no power. Guess I'll be calling them in the morning. Not sure that I want to send it back in with shipping and all. Seems like my money may be better spent towards a new detector. I was hoping to get a few more hunts in before the snow flies, but not so sure I will now.

that sucks. call them again and give them a chance to make it right. i have never heard of a bad experience with Garrett's customer service. they ought to go out of their way to fix it.

drver

Sep 24, 2006
Wilmington, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Please let us know what happens.!! I just got a new ace, no issues but want to know how Garrett is to work with.

OP
OP
H

harpua

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2006
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1250
Well here's the latest update. I gave them a call and talked with a technician who was very friendly. He walked me through a few diagnostics even as far as having me take it apart and check a few connections that he said sometimes come loose in shipping. After all that, no luck so he scheduled a UPS pickup for it to ship back to them. Two days later, UPS shows up and I hand it off. That was 11/2. Well today, 20 days later, I find a package outside my door. Sure enough, there it was. They even through in batteries this time. And sure enough everything works. So I'm happy, though I'm wondering what they charged this second time around if anything since I didn't receive a phone call notifing me of the cost like I did when I originally sent it in.

Now I've got my 1250 back, my son gets the 250 that I bough a bit earlier than planned (was going to be a Christmas gift to him) when my detector was on the fritz. Now hopefully the snow holds off a bit longer so we can both go out a few more times this year.

drver

Sep 24, 2006
Wilmington, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Did they at least let you know what they found wrong?

From what I’ve been seeing about Garrett I’d be surprised if they tried to charge you for the second time, it was payed for the first time just not fixed.

OP
OP
H

harpua

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2006
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1250
The first time in they said it was the touch panel that was bad. They replaced that, but not sure what they did the second time in. I've heard good things about their service in the past so I'm hoping for good things once I get my CC bill. I'm just glad to have it back in working order!!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent my 2500 in to get it "retuned" as it ws slightly off on some of the features. Got it back in a week but UPS broke it in shipping. Filed a claim with UPS and they stalled me around for three weeks. Finally they sent it back to Garrett and I got it back in one piece in about another week. They changed out the complete head assembly since UPS had broken it from the shaft. Garrett was great, but UPS sucks! Hint: If you ever have a problem with UPS breaking a detector, send it back to the factory and let them deal with UPS, could save about two weeks in getting it back. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread