What's new

Gas Stations or Auto Garages ?

72Malibu

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jan 14, 2020
Messages
7
Reaction score
27
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Just curious if anyone has ever hunted specifically around old gas stations or auto repair locations and what you've found?
 
Ive found an old tag it says Dodge Bros business coupe pat pending detroit Mi about the size of a stick of Gum
 
I noticed one old station razed and bulldozed that's now just giggle weeds on a lonely stretch of road as far as any buildings near it.
Never looked for owner/permission but recall pop machines outside other stations.....Coins only. Open the narrow door and pull hard on the bottle!
And payphones.
And penny loafers with dimes in them. Even Mercs...

A former market from my youth gets passed now and then without a permission sought.
More than the market existed then , but should be plenty of recoveries with age on them.

Man , I'm startin to feel lazy here!
 
Found an old abandoned gas station in the 70's and didn't find much, but I went behind the building and found this sign in the bushes...

phillips 66 sign.webp

I gave it to a friend that collected old signs. He was happy.
 
As a teenager I worked in a junkyard and made a habit of searching the cars when they came in. Sometimes you found good stuff like a wrench or a quarter or two.
 
Since cars are my passion, I have been around a couple. I know of several more.

Nothing of value or any $. Did find sparkplugs and other small pcs. Then there was a right front fender....

Have my eye on several old repair shops & gas stations, but, just waiting till I'm on the property for business to talk to property owner. I've found P.O. are much more agreeable when I have the company truck with big identifiers on the doors, vs being in my personal rig.
 
Since cars are my passion, I have been around a couple. I know of several more.

Nothing of value or any $. Did find sparkplugs and other small pcs. Then there was a right front fender....

Have my eye on several old repair shops & gas stations, but, just waiting till I'm on the property for business to talk to property owner. I've found P.O. are much more agreeable when I have the company truck with big identifiers on the doors, vs being in my personal rig.

Sounds like you know all the angles on getting permission. Good luck.
 
I only hunt the curb strip around my area and have lucked into a few silvers, other areas, especially behind them are normally way to trashy for my taste.
 
I've hunted a U-Pull type Junk Yard.\,
While a Friend got parts for his Vehicle.
Had my Pockets Loaded down with Change from the Floors of Vehicles.
I'd say mostly from others Lying under the Dash & Letting coins Slide out their Pockets
While getting Parts.

I Know the Holier then Thou Think I should have Declared it when I left the Yard :tongue3:
But it wasn't Auto Parts so :coffee2:
 
You will find enough old junk parts to build your own car after your hunt !
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom