Gem hunting light box

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
If you are using it at home, you could purchase a regular ceiling light fixture, The rectangular flat box type light. Mount it upside down on a small table, maybe.

If in the field, get a good 6 volt lantern. I have used flashlights to check tourmalines and garnets.

Good luck!.....HH

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M3R1IN

M3R1IN

Oct 6, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, stock and DD coil
thanks, i am a glazer so i have access to all types of glass and synthetic clear materials and mirror
I got a 22x33" piece of 1/4" thick tempered glass. I was thinking of building a frame out of 1x6 or 1x8 boards and putting 1" doweling around the inside rim and sinking it1/4" so i have a countersink for the glass. then mounting a couple of LED strips or fluorescent bulb tubes on the bottom turned upside down so the light shines up into the glass, then putting a backing on it and lining the inside with reflective material like 1/8" or thinner mirror or maybe tinfoil or polished tin or something to keep the light focused upward. I am just wondering if i should frost the glass underside so the light difuses better or something.....let me know if you guys think this is a good idea.

Upvote 0

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Merlin,

Go get your self an old Xerox coppy plate Or the whole box assembly would work great.

Build a box and use a milk glass bathroom window .
A regular 100watt bulb is plenty of light.

Another secret for sorting the colored stones is to hold the stone up to a 100watt bulb and looking through a pair of polarized sunglasses. works especialy well for blue and green stones

Old Dog

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M3R1IN

M3R1IN

Oct 6, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, stock and DD coil
Thanks for the tips, i am currently building a light box and i hope to have it finished this weekend, i will post pics when it is done. It just so happens that i have an old copy/print/fax/scan machine that is buggered so i will try moding it into a light box too

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread