4.05 ct Sapphire

Fast Randy

Greenie
Feb 17, 2008
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4000
Is it just quarts crystal? How do you tell the difference between quarts and sapphire? I found one that looks just like yours only mine is 9.7 ct. I know the corundum's are harder than quarts but how dose the black light work to tell them apart? Also when you go to Helena, do you go to a pay per day site?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M3R1IN

M3R1IN

Oct 6, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, stock and DD coil
you can generally tell corrundum from quartz because it has a hexagonal crystal structure which can often be seen under magnification, also it is usually clearer than quartz and its color also gives it away, most quartz in the region is either rose, or cloudy white quartz.
I do find the odd sapphire when I am prospecting in the Helena area, but the place i go is a pay per day site, i usually spend my time digging and screening the gravels and then I take them back to Canada to sort through them, i still got a couple hundred pounds of concentrate to sort through... Ive been living in Thailand for 5 months and I just got back. I also have my stones faceted and completely finished now too. I might post some pics of them later.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread