Geode Bonanza!

B

BigDan

"There are no free places to find geodes around Keokuk, Ia, anymore!", I've read that so many times when researching, looking for places to hunt geodes. I'd begun to believe it.

You can find them on the Des Moines river, which in late August and September is usually only knee deep almost everywhere. But, the last two years it has been FULL to the banks. What to do? I wanted to hunt geodes. I found three locations in Hamilton, IL which will allow you to hunt and only charge around $20.00 a bucket. I was ready to succumb to the temptation.

As it happens, I picked up my daughter in Iowa today, and had planned an excursion with she and my wife to Southern Iowa to check out these pay to pick up locations. Just a few stops on the way and we might be looking for geodes. The first stop, was in a small town, an old winery in a very historic building. Mostly interested in history...but I found a wonderful Elderberry that will do for dessert. ;D Being within the area where geodes could be found...I bothered to ask the gentleman if there was ANYONE he knew in this small town that might allow me to hunt for geodes on their property. He took me out to his garden, showed me about five dozen nice specimens his wife had collected...and told me exactly where she looks! And no problem with permission!

But wait! Bonanza not done yet. We continued to our original destination..and did some exploring. AHHA!!! Public access to a nice creek. One and one/half hours later, three buckets of geodes! Like fish in a barrel! I'm not ready to post picks just yet...as I am exhausted. But, suffice it to say I've about six gallons of rocks from silver dollar to softball size waiting to be opened!

"You can't find places to hunt geodes for free anymore!", Oh yeah? Just have to look a little! And might I say....though I'm not saying exactly where I was....they aren't hard to find. And, try the Elderberry wine at the old stagecoach stop....it's excellent! ($75.00 and you get a night in the guest house out back...complete with a bottle...take your wife, find the creek, have a great night and a great day hunting geodes!)

Oh, and if you try to find the other place...take your pole, I saw two very nice smallmouths in the crystal clear water. (No more hints for that one.)

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find bigdan, do you break them open with a hammer or cut them open? i collected a few from ky. 5 years ago and gave most away, i hated to hit them with a hammer, now i have a rock saw and no good size geodes left.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BigDan

The best way is a pipe cutter. Now that I have about 100 geodes (went back today) I may invest in one.

Either the hammer or the saw can break fragile formations inside a geode.

But, I've always found that a hammer and chisel with the geode tucked tightly inside a vice results in nice clean breaks just about where you want them.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread