GEORGIVS III REX copper question

castletonking

Jun 20, 2011
castleton vt.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My greatest find ever so far is the discovery saturday of the George III copper,its toasted and worn,but enough is readable to make out what it is,as well as enough to make out that it is one of the ones produced between 1770 and 17775 which is awsome.(GEORGIVS III REX) the early ones had only that lettering,there was extra wording added after 1775.Is there anyway to clean this coin as the back is unreadable or is it best to leave it alone? Not bad for someone who has been detecting less than a year and has found a 1794 reale,1841 large cent,1857 bank of upper canada 1 cent token and multiple indian heads,none newer than 1867.also how long were they used in this country as currency? it was found in the field of an 1780 farm house..the area (Castleton VT.) saw a lot of british,german and french soldiers pass through.

Attachments

• mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Upvote 1

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Check University of Notre Dame site colonial coins on google. Looks like a II? Back may have a harp? Soak in olive oil and use old toothbrush is what I do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

castletonking

Jun 20, 2011
castleton vt.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check University of Notre Dame site colonial coins on google. Looks like a II? Back may have a harp?
using a magnifying glass you can see the other I,it is very corroded and nothing sows on the back,i dont know if its so corroded its worn off or it is covered with crud,i'm afraid to do anything besides let it soak in olive oil to clean it(advice from another detectorist.)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it's definitely a British George III 1770-1775. There doesn't appear to be any corrosion, therefore there's no cleaning that could make it better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread