What's new

german silver backmark

postalgriff

Silver Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2008
Messages
2,801
Reaction score
1,093
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello from Michigan, I found this last week at a house in the city about 4 inches deep. I wondered if anybody recognized the back mark? It says 935 and made in Germany on the other side, and about the size of a dime. It seems like I see a race car but it may just be my imagination. appreciate any input, thanks, Griff
 

Attachments

  • 6-5 charm.webp
    6-5 charm.webp
    27.9 KB · Views: 248
  • 6-5 charm back.webp
    6-5 charm back.webp
    30.5 KB · Views: 264
  • 6-5 charm.webp
    6-5 charm.webp
    27.9 KB · Views: 250
  • 6-5 charm back.webp
    6-5 charm back.webp
    30.5 KB · Views: 261
It is, of course, a St. Christopher medal for travelers. The number is the silver content (Sterling is a Brit/American thing). Back looks like a early car with big leaf springs. Travel theme again...
 
Upvote 0
935 parts silver out of 1000
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
935 parts silver out of 1000
thanks...that part I knew, I was just wondering if that really was a car I was seeing on there, thought it was strange to have on a Catholic charm
 
Upvote 0
I think folks used to pin those to their car visors.

I always love finding silver, in one form or another; Great job!
 
Upvote 0
airborne1092 said:
I think folks used to pin those to their car visors.

I always love finding silver, in one form or another; Great job!
good call....I think youre right, even though the pin type is usually on the back, that's a good ID! thanks all and HH, Griff
 
Upvote 0
No, I think the pens are right. It would seem like it was given out for membership in an auto club (like AAA or ADAC?) and you'd look up to see St. Christopher while driving, to remind you to drive carefully. That's my opinion!

:wink:

The Germans have a saying "Fahr nie schneller als dein Schutzengel fliegen kann" which means "Don't drive faster than your guardian angel can fly." You see it on key fobs and bumper stickers too.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom