Get your kids & grandkids into MD!

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get your kids & grandkids into MD!

:icon_cheers: Here is an idea. I did this with my kids when they were young and now do it with all 9 of the grandkids now.
I have a house in the Florida Panhandle that I used to live in. When the grandkids would be coming over I would "salt" the yard very heavily. Not with just modern coins. I would bury things like old chrome trim off of antique cars, very old coins, a 1964 dogtag, old rings and jewelry I had found many years ago and even a gold coin. I had some genuine Roman coins that were less than perfect that I also added to spike interest in looking up old coins. Some were very hard to identify but Pop-Pop Dawg was always around to help out.
When we decided to go back to living aboard a boat I rented the house out. Many of the treasures were still somewhere in the yard. The tennant called one day and I told him about it. I suggested he get his kids(2 early teens) into metal detecting by getting them to search the yard. He did! They now drag Dad to every beach, campground and schoolyard in the county. He said the oldest boy found some old silver coins in the yard and the treasure hunting bug had claimed another victim.
For a kid, hunting a non-producing beach can be so boring if you are new to the sport, can deter them from ever hunting again. If they find something even of minimal value it will get their attention and get them hooked on a great sport. You control the field, get their interest and you have a hunting buddy for life. When the grandkids hit the door now they go for the closet where the MD's are. THEN, they come over to Pop-Pop and ask if we can go to the spring or beach. Now, when they make a find they are learning about history and they are loving it. I love it when one of them runs up to me with something in their hand and wants me to identify what it is.
That is forever!

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Get your kids & grandkids into MD!

I think that was a fantastic idea.. isn't it a great feeling that you got a youngin into detecting, I know I love it...even thou I dont find much other then clad, I still love it.. if your ever down on the jersey coast, Let me know..would love to meet you both.

bootybay

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My eight year old grand daughter kept asking when I would take her metal detecting so one day when I was over there visiting I brough a light weight detector. Before I got to the front door I threw a bunch of coins on the grass out front. She learned quickly how to turn it on and move it back and forth and even pinpoint where she could see the coins in the center of the hole in the spider coil. After almost 15 minutes she hands me the detector and says, "I'm done with this now," and goes in the house to watch cartoons. I'll try again later.....

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That's funny sandman.....

Maybe 8 is a little young to spike interest in, but I was just talking to a guy the other evening and that's exactly how he got his son into it at an early age....and that was probably 20 years ago and the kid is still at it hard and heavy. :thumbsup:

Al

OP
OP
White Feather

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:happy11: I guess some kids need the TV blown up. Video games, cartoons and even gaming on the web can keep them sitting in front of the computer or TV screen. Most kids would go into withdrawal if the power went out for more than a few minutes. Some time ago a freinds power went out. We were visiting after a storm. Within an hour the kids were climbing the walls saying they were bored and wanted to know what to do "until the power came back on". I guess it's become a world of video gamers and TV junkies. Kids really would rather be sitting in front of a screen than go outside and search for treasure.
8 may be a bit early for some kids but not for others. It all depends on their interests. Just like us adults, some may never give a thought to hunting for even gold and could even care less about artifacts. Unless maybe you find a Hanna Montana item still in the box that someone dropped going through your yard and it went under the grass. Nah! That would require walking away from the TV for a few minutes.
I have one grandson who would not go out treasure hunting if it was for survival. He thinks it is stupid and would rather play his dragon game on the web. I guess it's the same with me when he wants me to get involved in his internet games. If everyone was into one sport there would not be a need for everything else. Like Captain Jack said, "Take what you can and give nothing back!"

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2

Grandson love it. The dirt flies though so I have to take him places I don't have to worry about it. He is getting much better at digging though, less messy.
Now the little one here has a ways to go but I am getting him ready early!

Attachments

• P1010107_0107_107.jpg
    P1010107_0107_107.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 143
  • P1010108_0108_108.jpg
    P1010108_0108_108.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 158
  • P1010109_0109_109.jpg
    P1010109_0109_109.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 139
  • P1010111_0111_111.jpg
    P1010111_0111_111.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 6-16-2007-583.jpg
    6-16-2007-583.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 6-16-2007-583.jpg
    6-16-2007-583.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 151
  • P1010111_0111_111.jpg
    P1010111_0111_111.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 156
  • P1010109_0109_109.jpg
    P1010109_0109_109.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 153
  • P1010108_0108_108.jpg
    P1010108_0108_108.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 146
  • P1010107_0107_107.jpg
    P1010107_0107_107.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 152
Apr 27, 2008
rhode island
Detector(s) used
titan 1000 xd

nice pics. :) cute baby.
Tin Nugget said:
Grandson love it. The dirt flies though so I have to take him places I don't have to worry about it. He is getting much better at digging though, less messy.
Now the little one here has a ways to go but I am getting him ready early!

OP
OP
White Feather

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

;D PRICELESS!!! ;D

snyper77

Nov 27, 2008
Greenwood, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

You guys nailed this! And this is the very reason why I'm here at this forum. My kids (ages 9 and 12) are video game-a-holics. I'm divorced from their mom and they live with her and I get them every other weekend.
Well, at their house, they have a Playstation 2 and a Wii game console. At my house, they have another PS2, a Nintendo64, and a Dell Desktop PC filled with games and DSL internet. I get so sick of watching them play that stuff when they come to see me. Oh, I might add, their mom is getting them each a PSP (playstation portable $200 each, for Christmas), which is a handheld gaming system that they can use when traveling.
So, I said ENOUGH!
I want to spend quality time with my children.... I want them to see things......hear things....smell things....learn things.
I want to laugh with them and enjoy some good one on one time. (I am a die hard fisherman, and I tried that route with them but they got bored quickly).
So, I decided to get a metal detector for Christmas.

After speaking to several people, they all say that the ACE 250 is the best bang for the buck (under $300). I'm ordering it tomorrow. I pray that my kids really take to this hobby. If so, I just may buy a "pro model" Garrett for myself next Christmas! :)
Would yall say that the 1500 is a great unit to get for a serious adult?

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon

Here is my little dude/Treasure finding buddy.

Every time I pull a penny he asks if its a wheatie. I agree, its a great hobby and fun to have a sidekick!

Attachments

• Kyle ball hitch.jpg
    Kyle ball hitch.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Kyle MD.jpg
    Kyle MD.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Kyle MD.jpg
    Kyle MD.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 115
  • Kyle ball hitch.jpg
    Kyle ball hitch.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 104

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

I took my 7 year old daughter with me over the weekend and the first thing she found was a .223 round.
I think she hooked now, she asks everyday when we're going again LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions