Get Your Silver Fix!! Video For Your Viewing Pleasure!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello Everyone,

For anyone that has wanted to see someone find a deep coin in the turf, or for anyone who got skunked today and needs their silver fix, here's a short video that my buddy, Jon (goldenapples) , filmed while at an old park last month. Our goal that day was to try and film a deep silver coin, from initial signal with the Minelab SE to final coin in hand. I marked a number of signals that I thought would be good candidates for a silver coin. Most were deep memorials or wheaties. The final signal turned out to be the silver coin we were hoping for. It's not an oldie, but it was deeeep, and it was silver. So sit back and enjoy this short video.

A couple notes before viewing the video:
- For you skilled turf hunters, you will see me using my sunray probe before I dig my plug....that wasn't intended. I was only killing time to allow the park ranger to drive by before I made my plug. You will hear his car driving by in the background.
- I try not to field clean my old silver finds, but for the video I wanted to identify my coin, so I rubbed the dirt off it a little. One side of the coin was badly stained, and I knew it was also a later/common silver coin.

Hopefully, one day, I will be able to get a real old silver dig on film. I'll keep trying. I have a couple more also, if you like this one.

Enjoy!! That's why I created it. For you SE newbies, you can also gain some understanding of the "minelab wiggle" technique, along with the high, fluty sound of silver.

[video=vimeo;395886]http://www.vimeo.com/395886[/video]

Happy Holidays,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Upvote 0

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
zoyboy said:
Boy, after some stuffin', toy-key, sweet potatas, mashed potatas, and coyn, I am barely able to type this current reply. :D :D

Dan, KirkPA and I are looking forward to the many more wilver recovery vids in the near metal detecting future.

Bone Dry Detecting...KylePA :D

I ate too much, I felt like a bloated gibbon trying to metal detect. :D :D :D

BDD...Kirk

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Cool video; it's always interesting to see other detectorists' mechanics. I've watched a few guys in our local park, and they're not very particular about doing a neat job.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
What does this wiggle do, can you explain? I have recently past up a few finds that rang high but around some trash and must have been deep the were very weak high sounds Kinda ify, when I wiggled It would show a little better but was unable to find it after 10 inches or so, so just figured it was interferince or somthing, do you reckon it was a small deep coin or what

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
zoyboy said:
Dan,

Your plug was very professional and neat. Don't listen to what some dudes say. You are the wilver god!

BDD...Kirk

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving, buddy.

This from a dude that uses a relic shovel in a corn field. HA!

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(Joe G) Actually, the Exp (mine anyway) is extremely accurate. For "shallow" targets, a 3" plug is fine. However, when you dig 8" plus it's a little hard to get the dirt out of such a small hole (especially when the blade on your digger is only 7" long). Dig a neat plug, use a drop cloth (or rubber :) ) and put everything back so no one knows you've been there... who cares how big the plug is? :)

Future detectors care. A large plug in the summer is a big problem when it's dry, unless you carry water. People who see Mder's digging big plugs and then see the unsightly after effects care. Making a good impression is very important. The smaller the plug the better for the environment and the hobby.

I dig eight inch plugs with my machine and don't dig a hole any bigger than what my hand and wrist fit into. So, the depth of the hole has nothing to do with the plug. Still nice work on the silver. I'm just a tad sensitive about plugs since our parks were shut down because of it.

Last summer my city has banned detecting in the parks because someone was digging oversized plugs, and dotting the place with ugly brown spots everywhere. Obviously ruining it for everyone.
Ken

I did say in my post to "dig a neat plug, use a drop cloth (or rubber :) ) and put everything back so no one knows you've been there... :) I also said a smaller plug "makes it a little hard" to dig deep... not impossible. So, we're actually both in agreement here. What I'm saying is, if you do it correctly, it doesn't make a difference if the plug is 3" wide or 6" wide. However, I should have added that if it's that dry, I don't hunt. (unless it's a less than manicured type grassy area, where there's more dirt / weeds than grass and it doesn't make a difference aesthetically)

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll agree with that, Joe.

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captn,
Perfect Textbook Recovery and love the way you dig the whole and replace the dirt. I do the same as you and hope that your video will serve as an example of a proper way to recover a coin without damaging the grass.
Your video is awsome. Just made my first and have to edit it.
I just took a measurement of the Lesche digging tool and it looks like you actually when down as far as 9" to dig that coin.
That was awsome. I have a Fisher F75 and I am still learning it and after watching your video it makes me want to go out and purchase the SE.
That is one super machine and from the looks of it... you have it mastered.
Hey now about those other videos... do you already have some older versions that you have created on another website. If so can you send us all a link.
I have just about seen all the metal detecting videos on google and youtube and I always anticipate the new arrivals from whoever may be making a vid.
Again...very nice video.

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to say... same here if the ground is to dry I will not even attempt to dig or even hunt.
Great points!

Joe G said:
(Joe G) Actually, the Exp (mine anyway) is extremely accurate. For "shallow" targets, a 3" plug is fine. However, when you dig 8" plus it's a little hard to get the dirt out of such a small hole (especially when the blade on your digger is only 7" long). Dig a neat plug, use a drop cloth (or rubber :) ) and put everything back so no one knows you've been there... who cares how big the plug is? :)

Future detectors care. A large plug in the summer is a big problem when it's dry, unless you carry water. People who see Mder's digging big plugs and then see the unsightly after effects care. Making a good impression is very important. The smaller the plug the better for the environment and the hobby.

I dig eight inch plugs with my machine and don't dig a hole any bigger than what my hand and wrist fit into. So, the depth of the hole has nothing to do with the plug. Still nice work on the silver. I'm just a tad sensitive about plugs since our parks were shut down because of it.

Last summer my city has banned detecting in the parks because someone was digging oversized plugs, and dotting the place with ugly brown spots everywhere. Obviously ruining it for everyone.
Ken

I did say in my post to "dig a neat plug, use a drop cloth (or rubber :) ) and put everything back so no one knows you've been there... :) I also said a smaller plug "makes it a little hard" to dig deep... not impossible. So, we're actually both in agreement here. What I'm saying is, if you do it correctly, it doesn't make a difference if the plug is 3" wide or 6" wide. However, I should have added that if it's that dry, I don't hunt. (unless it's a less than manicured type grassy area, where there's more dirt / weeds than grass and it doesn't make a difference aesthetically)

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Thanks, BullDurham!

You're right about the depth of that coin. I said it was a good 8". It was probably more like 9".

For anyone wondering about what that plug looked like a couple of weeks later.....I went back to that park, and could not locate my plug. Completely healed.

I will post another short video of a silver coin recovery soon. Glad you enjoyed it. Good luck with that F75 of yours. I've never tried one before, but I've heard a lot of great things about it.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread