Get Your Silver Fix!! Video For Your Viewing Pleasure!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello Everyone,

For anyone that has wanted to see someone find a deep coin in the turf, or for anyone who got skunked today and needs their silver fix, here's a short video that my buddy, Jon (goldenapples) , filmed while at an old park last month. Our goal that day was to try and film a deep silver coin, from initial signal with the Minelab SE to final coin in hand. I marked a number of signals that I thought would be good candidates for a silver coin. Most were deep memorials or wheaties. The final signal turned out to be the silver coin we were hoping for. It's not an oldie, but it was deeeep, and it was silver. So sit back and enjoy this short video.

A couple notes before viewing the video:
- For you skilled turf hunters, you will see me using my sunray probe before I dig my plug....that wasn't intended. I was only killing time to allow the park ranger to drive by before I made my plug. You will hear his car driving by in the background.
- I try not to field clean my old silver finds, but for the video I wanted to identify my coin, so I rubbed the dirt off it a little. One side of the coin was badly stained, and I knew it was also a later/common silver coin.

Hopefully, one day, I will be able to get a real old silver dig on film. I'll keep trying. I have a couple more also, if you like this one.

Enjoy!! That's why I created it. For you SE newbies, you can also gain some understanding of the "minelab wiggle" technique, along with the high, fluty sound of silver.

[video=vimeo;395886]http://www.vimeo.com/395886[/video]

Happy Holidays,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Upvote 0

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the video Dan. Nice recovery. Post a few more if you get the time.

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Yo, Dan, whazzzzz up? Zoyster and I loved the video, man. Throughout your digging, zoy and I kept saying, "Holy shiate, he is still digging." (We were frickin' amazed at how deep that wilver was, man!)

We are looking forward to more of a true professional's videos.

BDD...Kirk

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Thanks, Evolution! Thanks Kirk and Zoy!

It was a true "DEEPIE"!

HH,
CAPTN

notanothertodd

Aug 11, 2007
How the Heck are u getting your hand probe to detect that deep? I'm using the Sunray probe like yours and it only detects a few inches down. That hole that you dug looked like a foot lol. Is there a way to adjust that or do you just have to turn your gain to 32?

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
notanothertodd said:
How the Heck are u getting your hand probe to detect that deep? I'm using the Sunray probe like yours and it only detects a few inches down. That hole that you dug looked like a foot lol. Is there a way to adjust that or do you just have to turn your gain to 32?

My buddy, Dan, ain't your average, shallaw-seeking detectorist. :D

Bone Dry Detecting...Kirk

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
notanothertodd said:

You're very observant, notanothertodd! Actually, my probe has a tweaked wire in it, and it falses when I wiggle it. But it still works. I only get a max 3" out of it, which is as good as it gets. I will eventually have to send it away for repairs.

CAPTN SE
Dan

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Captn_SE said:
notanothertodd said:

You're very observant, notanothertodd! Actually, my probe has a tweaked wire in it, and it falses when I wiggle it. But it still works. I only get a max 3" out of it, which is as good as it gets. I will eventually have to send it away for repairs.

CAPTN SE
Dan

Dan, it just shows how professional you are, my friend. You can detect a wilver while the damn thing is falsing...that is skill! :D

BDD...Kirk

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That was awesome SE...and man you don't waste any time do you....well except for the Ranger driving by.I can't believe the Sunray was still picking the coin up,definetley have to check into one.Even if I don't own a Minelab that was still cool.Thank's

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what it's all about brother. Excellent vid and a perfect text book example of a deep silver hit and dig. That will really help people understand those "fluty" tones we speak of. You are the silver king and have definately helped me out in the field.

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
silverfreak said:
That's what it's all about brother. Excellent vid and a perfect text book example of a deep silver hit and dig. That will really help people understand those "fluty" tones we speak of. You are the silver king and have definately helped me out in the field.

Thanks Bryce. Appreciate the accolade. I'm sure you've heard quite a few of those deepies this year, huh?

HH,
Dan
CAPTN SE

t-bucket

Bronze Member
Oct 7, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
e-track- Explorer SE explorer 2 -
Thanks for your time to show people who has questions about the sounds of the explorer.That was awsome.Great find and good luck on your next hunt. 8)

Don In South Jersey

Sep 3, 2005
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Pro-Find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanna go out right now & hunt after watching that, that fluty sound is etched in my memory banks, boy the SE rocks. Your boy digs a plug like a hedge hog, no roots getting in his way.

I like the plastic tray for the dirt, I use a towel but might give that a try.

Is that from an old kids shovel or rubber trashcan that was cut up?

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
South Jersey Don said:
I like the plastic tray for the dirt, I use a towel but might give that a try.

Is that from an old kids shovel or rubber trashcan that was cut up?

Don, it's actually a piece of a truck tire inner-tube. Folds easy and doesn't get wet and soggy like a towel does.

HH,
Dan
CAPTN SE

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
excellent job CAPTN SE ! would love to see the other vids for sure ;)

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Awesome exemple of a lot of the right things to be doing when all of us are out there digging Dan.
Excellent video, most enjoyable to watch. Thanks for sharing.

- Perfect cone shaped plug, cut 270 degrees around and peeled back (not cut loose) to allow perfect replacement back into the dug hole.
- You wear gloves, not only keeps your hands cleaner then if not, but protects you from injury when you plunge them into a hole blind to scoop out the dirt. Many times, holes are filled with broken glass, metal shards, lots of bad stuff. Heck, I even dug two different archery broadheads. You can still get hurt, but the gloves are a nice level of protection.
- Using the rubber mat helps 100% in eliminating all the traces that a hole was dug. If you don't use one, the dirt and sand filters into the grass around the hole and after you replace everything, the hole will have a shallow impression where you dug because it is missing some of the dirt. Over time, there will still be a trace of a dug hole there.
- Sweet introduction to your SE and your technics for us non Minelab users. Very interesting!
- You vid really shows that is is a lot of hard work to dig a deep coin, but well worth it in the end!!
- Finally, showing the excitement after finding a silver keeper (even after finding 600 plus of them this year. ;D

You rock buddy!! Thanks for the great informative video.

Smiles!
BDoo

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Captn.

Excellent video and a great post. Very cool to see that deep silver come out. You definately showed us all how its done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread