Getting a V3i tomorrow. Any suggestiongs?

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi gang,
I'm getting a used V3i tomorrow. I am primarily a coin hunter but love relics when I find them. I am used to Minelab machines and Deus. I'm just giving you that bit of information to let you know where I'm coming from.

It seems to me that V3i is a programmers dream.

Would you please give me some tips for setting up the machine to coin shoot an old farm riddled with square cut nails and other trash with the V3i?
Thanks!

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a program on the White's detector website called magic program and that guy knows his stuff for sure, you would have to tailor it to your ground though. I would know what every setting does before making changes though as some settings might require you to make changes to others, your going to get more depth running a special setup verses the stock programs. HH

victhedog

Jun 24, 2008
Stroudsburg Monroe co. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Specra V3I, Whites Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Read the manual a few times it will teach you how to use the menu's
and what the setting are for.
Use the Magic program once you get the feel of the detector

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys! I'll have to look into that Magic program. But if I use Magic, will it make the coins disappear? :laughing7:

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah. Put some kind of tint on that screen or wear sunglasses. When it catches the sun it will fry your eyeballs!!

I just wanted to say: THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE! I noticed you are an Iraq Veteran. I am proud of you!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best of luck with your new machine! :occasion14:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
My advice is not to take the V3i and change a lot of settings all at once, such as Magic's settings. I'd run the C&J program, set the ground filter to the lowest it can run and not go unstable. My soil takes the lowest 5hz, which is good for deeper silver.

More people than I can remember, including myself, has gone into huge program setting changes and had troubles. As far as the rusty nails, I advise setting the analyze mode to Polar, under the "Live Search Screen". Test some rusty items and I think you'll begin to see how the polar displays can id iron.

I also like the Relic program. Good luck.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My advice is not to take the V3i and change a lot of settings all at once, such as Magic's settings. I'd run the C&J program, set the ground filter to the lowest it can run and not go unstable. My soil takes the lowest 5hz, which is good for deeper silver.

More people than I can remember, including myself, has gone into huge program setting changes and had troubles. As far as the rusty nails, I advise setting the analyze mode to Polar, under the "Live Search Screen". Test some rusty items and I think you'll begin to see how the polar displays can id iron.

I also like the Relic program. Good luck.

Thanks for the tip concerning the analyze mode to Polar.

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi gang,
I'm getting a used V3i tomorrow. I am primarily a coin hunter but love relics when I find them. I am used to Minelab machines and Deus. I'm just giving you that bit of information to let you know where I'm coming from.

It seems to me that V3i is a programmers dream.

Would you please give me some tips for setting up the machine to coin shoot an old farm riddled with square cut nails and other trash with the V3i?
Thanks!
Square cut nails is a good find I wouldn't want to get rid if them. I have had my V3i a short time so not really one to give advice on how to use it. It takes time, you'll have to play with the programs. One thing I do sometimes is cut back on the sensitivity a bit and that helps the chatter. You are going to love your V3i.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Square cut nails is a good find I wouldn't want to get rid if them. I have had my V3i a short time so not really one to give advice on how to use it. It takes time, you'll have to play with the programs. One thing I do sometimes is cut back on the sensitivity a bit and that helps the chatter. You are going to love your V3i.

Yes, I've read if one must lower sensitivity one can still use boost, ground filter etc. to still get good depth.
Too bad ole man Winter is coming. It actually snowed (are we allowed to use that word here?) here in Michigan about 50 miles north of Detroit. :mad:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know detecting with Magic his program was set to just give a tick when going over square nails, this is a great help when trying to find the exact location of an old house, school, church, ect. HH

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a lot of good information on U Tube about the V3i. Here I look forward to winter so I can get out in the woods without being eaten up by bugs.

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of the analyze modes you can chose from I like Polar plot the best.

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know detecting with Magic his program was set to just give a tick when going over square nails, this is a great help when trying to find the exact location of an old house, school, church, ect. HH
I haven't seen the Magic mode where is it at?

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a lot of good information on U Tube about the V3i. Here I look forward to winter so I can get out in the woods without being eaten up by bugs.

Yea me too! Those dang mosquitoes ran me out of the woods all summer!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread