What's new

Getting Closer

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2018
Messages
9,189
Reaction score
33,098
Golden Thread
0
Location
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I drove by a permission to check on it. The beans are almost ready to take. I was surprised to see a square patch of weeds growing right about where the old 1875 farm house sat. It may have been a log cabin but I’m not sure. I don’t know if it’s coincidence or the footprint of the house changed the soil somehow. I’ve only detected this spot once for a short time. I think I’ll concentrate on this area more when I start.
IMG_1074.webp
 
I was surprised to see a square patch of weeds growing right about where the old 1875 farm house sat. It may have been a log cabin but I’m not sure. I don’t know if it’s coincidence or the footprint of the house changed the soil somehow.
That's pretty likely, and even more so if the old house decomposed on the spot (either naturally or by burning). There's probably also a higher iron concentration there than elsewhere in the field.
 
That is an indicator. Some plants will really only grow much where the ground has been disturbed. Up here it's fireweed, in Oklahoma a type of sunflower would spring up. Don't know what those are, but probably some kind of human caused disturbance on that spot. GH!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom