gadigger81
Sr. Member
- #1
Thread Owner
What would be the best way to approach a land owner? Letter? In person? Phone? If by letter, does anybody have a good template to go by? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 
GaDigger81 said:What would be the best way to approach a land owner? Letter? In person? Phone? If by letter, does anybody have a good template to go by? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!![]()


Rockin Chairs Gold said:In person. My wife seems to have better luck then me, guess she has a nicer smile then I do. She gets permission I'd say 95% of the time. Right now we have more places to hunt then time.
Not getting rich but having a lot of fun. Rick
Is your wife available
It just conjurs up images of legal hassles, or that you are gonna find a gold chest there, blah blah Best to just shake their hand, and let them know they're welcome to anything good you might find.mobile miner said:Rockin Chairs Gold said:In person. My wife seems to have better luck then me, guess she has a nicer smile then I do. She gets permission I'd say 95% of the time. Right now we have more places to hunt then time.
Not getting rich but having a lot of fun. Rick
Is your wife available
Back in the 70's and 80's my father-in-law always told me I didn't seem to know a stranger as I was always the one asking permission, but as I've grown older I don't seem to be as at ease with talking to total strangers as I once was. But the Mrs. doesn't have any reservations about it at all, and for some reason they for the most part want to say go ahead and hunt to her, and hay if it works I say let her have at it. Rick![]()
Thanks again!!
Although I called yesterday and the case was three years ago, he still remembered me. After a minute or two of casual conversation, I mentioned my new hobby and asked if I might get permission to hunt on his property. Without any hesitation, he immediately said, "Sure, knock yourself out." He asked only that I show him what I find! The property involved is his law office, a glorious mansion from the late 1800's on a large corner lot in town......one of the first large homes built here. This street still has old cast iron 'hitching posts' along the sides of the street! I am double throw down excited about this, I doubt the property has ever been located and has enormous potential. I may not find a thing, but, the thrill of what may be there is giving me butterflies already!! I will report as the search progresses in the "Today's Finds" forum.TheNewCatfish said:This is an important subject and deserves more attention. Failure to make good and proper local contacts are the quickest way to massively screw up any venture. I just returned from New Mexico and Arizona where I walked in like I owned the places. After months of planning, travelling hundreds of miles and spending hundreds of dollars, my adventure went pretty badly.
Next time, i'm going to set aside several days to meet the locals instead of racing to where i'm going. Their on the ground knowledge and help identifying land marks, water sources and potential problem areas would have saved me "lots" of headaches.
This goes hand in hand with approaching a stranger. There's no better way to meet someone than by "friendly" introduction. Meet someone local and if he's on good terms, ask him to introduce you to the land owner. That's how i'm gonna do it the next time.
Make the man fear you, and you will be able to detect at your whim spartacus53 said:You were given a ton of good information from everyone, but if it doesn't work, use my method..
IntimidationMake the man fear you, and you will be able to detect at your whim
![]()
