hick.man

Greenie
Apr 4, 2016
eastern washington
Detector(s) used
At pro, AT gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi all, i recently purchased an at gold and found some real old one room school building sites but they are on private property. I am kinda nervous about approaching to ask for permission.obviously if you find something cool do you get to keep what you find? do you split etc. would be great if anyone with some experience could chime in and maybe give some pointers. thanks ???

Upvote 0

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Research the place. You want to be able to express your interest to the owner with facts, like the old school's name and dates of operation. Also research the owner, call him by name (if it is a women, just forget about it, and go get a few beers.. JK), some people like to door knock, I prefer to call and ask them if I can come by introduce myself, and promise not to take more than 5 minutes of their time... if it goes well, they will want to talk with you.

I like to go in clean clothes and shaven... you only get one chance to make a good first impression. Also, have an idea what you looking for, I say wheat cents, lead toy soldier, skeleton key... and have these items in my pocket to show them! Avoid the word "dig" or anything like that... people get the idea that you are going to dig trenches. Don't say "treasure" either.

My best weapon in my enthusiasm, people can tell that I am excited, and they get excited too.

I don't bring up splitting the loot, first of all, there isn't going to be anything THAT good anyway. If you find a ring, or personal item, show it to them and ask if they would like to have it. If it belonged to Granny, give it to them. I find that they usually laugh at me, they might want to see it, but have no interest in dirty pennies or anything else that I might find.

You might want to practice your schpeel once or twice. Don't get all excited, just go and talk to them. Look them in the eye, be honest and sincere. It's not all that bad. It gets easier after you do it a few times.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the obsession hick.man This topic has been discussed hundreds of times on previous posts. I recommend you search the threads in the "General Discussion" forum. Some people won't mind, others will want to see what you find while some may want to split the finds.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there are items you don't care to collect, offer the donate them, either to the property owner or museum. If you want to increase the odds of getting permission, don't knock on their door too early in the morning or too late in the evening, have a little bit of local knowledge about the property or area, and meet them in person rather than on the phone or email....oh, and have a pretty woman with you when you first talk to them.....or better yet, have her ask! :laughing7:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's this simple, if you don't ask you never get to detect any of these places. The good thing is most say yes.

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only been turned down once--the Guy, whom I new, says OH well I don't know //why don't you come over and we will have a cup of coffee and talk about it.--G0t to do it this spring. Basicly all that can happen is a no.--OK thanks anyway and move on/// Perry (damn I wish this program had a spell CK// ) Perry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread