What's new

Is it worth it?

GoJo7205

Tenderfoot
Joined
Mar 18, 2025
Messages
1
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
GreenRex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,
New metal detector user from Southern Indiana. Got a detector for my birthday last year and want to give it a try. The process of searching a location, not knowing what you will find, getting some exercise, and spending time outdoors is all good stuff that I enjoy. I don't expect to ever find anything of significant value and that is OK. The hunt is still fun. Even though I am brand new to metal detecting and have little experience (i.e. around the yard figuring out the detector, vacant lot next door, etc., I am finding it very discouraging with respect to where you can actually go to search. After researching my area some, I find that city parks in my county are off limits, state parks are either off limits or require a permit, other public property maybe/maybe not, but more not. Private property appears to be about the only access available. In this day/age, randomly knocking on doors can get you shot. So, my question is....Is it worth it if you don't have the property connections that provide a place to hunt? What are the methods you use to identify where to go?
Thanks
 
Upvote 2
Not necessarily, most metal detector folk keep their hunting spots close to the vest and the one's that don't usually wind up regretting it sooner or later, especially when he shows up to one of his spots only to find his friend and two or three others hunting his spot or cause him to lose his spot due to not filling holes, leaving trash laying around rather than taking it with them.

I have folks all the time wanting to go hunting with me. But I rarely take anyone with me because they mainly looking for new places to hunt after their spots are hunted out, not because they want to be my friend or want to get to know me. I'm not that interesting nor am I that pleasant of a person to be around.
Oh I think I know exactly what you're saying.

I lost a permission because of another person who had this obsession of wearing florescent work vests.
Putting 2 ft hazard pylons around his truck.

"Look at me" BS.

The permission rolled up, saw it, said goodbye. That was a 8 site loss.

I have many permissions that have asked the question.
"It’s just you alone" type of ?

I just say it's just me, nobody else.

Their response "That's good"

Meeting up should be in a public spot if there's a need to meet up that is.

Personally I am a lone wolf when detecting. If I feel the need to share, I'll post it up.
 
Don't expect to ever find anything of value. Just do it for the exercise and sunshine. It'll be more relaxing once your arm muscles adapt to the constant swinging of the detector.

II have to ask you what is your interpretation of "anything of value"?
 
Gold, silver, or a precious metal. I've never found any, but that's perfectly okay. I go to the beach and swing my detector for the exercise, sunshine, and ambiance of the beach.
When you least expect it, it will happen.

Just take it slowly, there's no award in swinging the coil faster.
Even after 55 yrs I sometimes find myself going to fast, I slow right down and the recoveries increase.
You have the equipment, you just need to find the right balance between you and the machine.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom