Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just ask expecting a no, that way you can't be disappointed.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If u really wanna detect it bro ur gonna have to ask I mean u already did the work trackin them down, so what u gonna stop now? Think.of it this way ur not detecting there now, u dont know them, so really what do u have to lose u may end up even with them saying yes & they may let u go to other properties they have u dont know about . We will b waiting for the answer u got lol

OP
OP
L

lededoop5125

Jul 11, 2013
North-East Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites- Coinmaster Pro, Garrett- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i'm busy this weekend so next week some time i'm gonna have to do it

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U got nothing to lose bro only gain

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are shy about asking or knocking on a door, here is a letter than i use sometimes after i knock and nobody answers or when i'm just in a hurry. You can roll the paper up and put it in their front door handle or mail it to them. I also have one that is a permission to metal detect and relieves them of any liability issues should i twist an ankle, get cut, etc...

Dear Property Owner,

I would like to introduce myself. My name is (insert your name here) and I have lived in (city or state) most of my life. Normally, I would prefer to meet you in person, but I feel that a letter beforehand is a better approach than just knocking on your door at an inconvenient time and invading your privacy.

I have been engaged in the hobby of metal detecting for almost a year and find it a healthful, enjoyable pastime that allows me to meet many interesting people. The thrill of finding old coins, buttons, etc. is very rewarding to me.

Recently, I have researched information that your property and the area surrounding goes back many years. I would like to obtain permission for myself and a friend to detect your property.

I want you to understand that I always respect the property that I search and leave it in the same condition that I found it. Normally the targets are no deeper than 5 or 6 inches and I retrieve them such that the ground appears not to be disturbed. Also all trash that I find is disposed of and not put back into or on the ground. In addition, I would like to offer my services to you.

Perhaps you or someone you know has lost a valuable jewelry item, keys or a farm tool. I would be willing to assist in finding the lost item, for the joy of seeing it reunited with its owner. I would be happy to meet if further discussion is required, or you could call my phone number, whichever is more convenient for you.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

**SIGN HERE**
(Your name here)
(Your phone number here)

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If u google permission letters to metal detect theres a Link with like 6 different letters on it from just a quick one more involved ones pending on the place ur goin to ask. If ur gonna go the route in letters its a definet good site ull know which one it is the home page has letter bubbles on it telling u which & whats in each, it will make u look a little more Professional when ur goin to a place of buisness

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Vibra-Probe 580 and 730.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just wondering about this question (Asking permission). The town I live in (In Oregon) has a Pioneer history that dates back to
the 1840's and there's some really neat old houses and sites here that are at least that old as far as settler habitation goes.

One on My "wish list" is an old tannery that was in continual operation from 1865 'till 2007 that just happens to be on a major ford too
('till they started building bridges across the creek).

Some of the responses here (Thanks folks) have me thinking 8-)

OP
OP
L

lededoop5125

Jul 11, 2013
North-East Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites- Coinmaster Pro, Garrett- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice everyone ,and treadhead if your looking for the owner use the local auditor website, which will show you where the owner lives, their name, when house on property was built etc..

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Vibra-Probe 580 and 730.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice everyone ,and treadhead if your looking for the owner use the local auditor website, which will show you where the owner lives, their name, when house on property was built etc..

Thanks for that tidbit OP!

luke3026

Greenie
Jul 2, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre 8" & Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those who have used letters to ask, how often do you get a response? I too have my eye on a few properties nearby, but I'm just not an outgoing enough personality to just knock on a door and ask them. The letter route would appeal to me, but seems like kind of a longshot as far as getting any word back.

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For those who have used letters to ask, how often do you get a response? I too have my eye on a few properties nearby, but I'm just not an outgoing enough personality to just knock on a door and ask them. The letter route would appeal to me, but seems like kind of a longshot as far as getting any word back.
You want to get one back all the time? Just say,"If I receive no response within one week of sending my letter, I will assume that you are giving me full permission to detect on your land." :)

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
elijahhenry10 said:
You want to get one back all the time? Just say,"If I receive no response within one week of sending my letter, I will assume that you are giving me full permission to detect on your land." :)

Hahaha!! That is an awesome idea. :)

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are shy about asking or knocking on a door, here is a letter than i use sometimes after i knock and nobody answers or when i'm just in a hurry. You can roll the paper up and put it in their front door handle or mail it to them. I also have one that is a permission to metal detect and relieves them of any liability issues should i twist an ankle, get cut, etc...

Dear Property Owner,

I would like to introduce myself. My name is (insert your name here) and I have lived in (city or state) most of my life. Normally, I would prefer to meet you in person, but I feel that a letter beforehand is a better approach than just knocking on your door at an inconvenient time and invading your privacy.

I have been engaged in the hobby of metal detecting for almost a year and find it a healthful, enjoyable pastime that allows me to meet many interesting people. The thrill of finding old coins, buttons, etc. is very rewarding to me.

Recently, I have researched information that your property and the area surrounding goes back many years. I would like to obtain permission for myself and a friend to detect your property.

I want you to understand that I always respect the property that I search and leave it in the same condition that I found it. Normally the targets are no deeper than 5 or 6 inches and I retrieve them such that the ground appears not to be disturbed. Also all trash that I find is disposed of and not put back into or on the ground. In addition, I would like to offer my services to you.

Perhaps you or someone you know has lost a valuable jewelry item, keys or a farm tool. I would be willing to assist in finding the lost item, for the joy of seeing it reunited with its owner. I would be happy to meet if further discussion is required, or you could call my phone number, whichever is more convenient for you.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

**SIGN HERE**
(Your name here)
(Your phone number here)

This is AWESOME!!!! Its very refreshing to see that somebody here has the common sense to sit down type out a letter such as this!!!

Back to the OP, as the rest have already stated. Just ask! You have nothing to loose, but a YES will be a GAIN! I have asked for permission to hunt many properties in my life, many were yes and many were no! But never let a no discourage you from finding that next property which could bring many GREAT memories!

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck with getting permission Treadhead! I am in Oregon myself and there are many sites I would love to be able to go detecting! I hope you get the ok! Being on the West coast we miss out on all the civil war relics and older stuff that they find back East, I'd sure like to be able to check out some of the places in our state that have some historical value, but I'm afraid most are off limits. Let me know how it goes! Don't worry, I wont be rushing down to your site! Just wishing you luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread