GF smoked me again! diamond ring!

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My last post about 'My GF Smoked Me Today' was about me getting my new AT Pro to back up my ETrac, her going with me to a local park, her using the AT Pro, her finding a silver quarter, irish silver ring, and an 1800's US Army brass button. YEAH! I got smoked!

So I go out this morning, Sunday, to another local park near us with the AT Pro (as it's raining). The park has been there in some form since the early 1900's as a train used to pass near it. I heard about some old cellar holes and foundations and checked them out. Found 2 pennies and just junk, but there were some realllly old bottles scattered around, which were very cool.

I go back home, have lunch, and my girlfriend (who dubbed herself 'Digger Bee') wanted to come along again. She put the same outfit she wore last week when we went (washed of course), and said it was for good luck. She then took over my Lesche Digger, Pro Pointer, Gloves, and 1 of my knee pads. That left me the ETrac, Gator Digger, V4 pinpointer, and the other knee pad...LOL.

So we hit the park. We went to a big grassy area near the lake that has some BIG old trees and people picnic and lay out there in the summer. We both found a lot of clad, no old coins, and she found a silver thimble. She said 'one more dig before we go'.

We cherry picked a good signal as our lasts. I has a good signal, showed as a coin, but turned out to be the small metal disc off of a gas grill knob.

She called me over and said to run my ETrac over her target she found because she said the AT Pro was saying it was very deep. I ran my ETrac over it. It was a good signal, didn't look like a coin FE-CO number, and showed about 8" deep. I was totally kidding and my exact words were "Who knows. Could be a pull tab, could be a ring".

She dug down, used the Pro Pointer, dug down more, used the Pro Pointer, dug down more, and THERE IT WAS!... sticking 1/2 way out of the side of her hole... a gold engagement ring with an empty 4 prong setting!!!

So after she calmed down and cleaned the ring up a bit, we wondered where the diamond was(?). one of the prongs was bent a little bit, which looked like it could have been bent by her digger. We both looked in the whole, pulled out some dirt, and after 2 handfulls of dirt and careful inspections, THERE IT WAS! a small round diamond! I put the diamond back in the ring for the pics, but falls right out because the prongs are a little bent.

I couldn't believe her luck! 2 weeks in a row and 2 RINGS! and the other stuff too! Now she thinks my AT Pro, back up detector, is hers...

I got smoked again! This is obviously a HUGE case of 'beginner's luck' right? hmpf!

Attachments

• ring 3-18 2.jpg
    ring 3-18 2.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 258
  • bee 2012-03-18 15.01.41.jpg
    bee 2012-03-18 15.01.41.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 286

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
She would be using the etrac next time out! Lol. Great job!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digger bee You Did Good! Red

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dude... You're getting SMOKED! :laughing7:

Seriously... If she had followed you and dug it after the Etrac said it was junk, then yes, you got smoked. Now, if you're hunting away from each other, it's just the luck of the swing.

I often say, I'd rather be lucky than good and with metal detecting, that is often who get's the goods, the lucky.

Maybe someday that Etrac will pay for itself. Looks like the AT Pro is well on its way... :headbang:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dwight S said:
Seriously... If she had followed you and dug it after the Etrac said it was junk, then yes, you got smoked.

That doesn't make any sense at all. There is no machine out there that would identify that as an awesome target. They all say it's in the pull tab / ring / other junk range just like he said it was. Nobody can go into a park and dig every single one of those targets. It's just not possible (unless you are in a new park with limited trash).

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
[/quote]

That doesn't make any sense at all. There is no machine out there that would identify that as an awesome target. They all say it's in the pull tab / ring / other junk range just like he said it was. Nobody can go into a park and dig every single one of those targets. It's just not possible (unless you are in a new park with limited trash).
[/quote]

If he was cherry picking and passed over the signal because it registerd as "foil" and then his GF came along and got a signal that was iffy, and she decided to dig, then yes, his detector let him down... Been there, done that. Had a friend get a signal that he thought was iron, I checked and got a signal that jumped around a bit, but was decent. I suggested he dig it. It was a V nickel.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

[/quote]

If he was cherry picking and passed over the signal because it registerd as "foil" and then his GF came along and got a signal that was iffy, and she decided to dig, then yes, his detector let him down... Been there, done that. Had a friend get a signal that he thought was iron, I checked and got a signal that jumped around a bit, but was decent. I suggested he dig it. It was a V nickel.
[/quote]

Most hunters with an E-trac will cherry pick and ignore low tones. It's just how it's done. His detector didn't let him down. I've probably gone over at least 1,000+ gold rings over the years because I cherry pick for silver. It has nothing to do with my detector letting me down. It hears it. I just don't want to dig it.

OP
OP
Viddy

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
we were in the same area, but not really near eachother. She just hit a good spot both last week and the other day and got a ring out of each.

I noticed she really pays attention to the AT Pro screen. She only dug up 1 pull tab the entire daycompared to $2.00 in change in a park POLLUTED with them!
I probably dug up 20+ with my ETrac that hit good, and not my usual pull tab number that I ignore, and I didn't want to take the chance on missing a good target.
She also has many pennies, dimes, and quarters, but ZERO nickels cause she won't dig when it says 'pull tab' or close to it.
When it is a strong signal on the AT Pro and it says 'pull tab' it's a 99% chance it is. I will state that, but that's just the way she wants to hunt, I guess?
For me? I do cherry pick the silver with the ETrac, which it is great at, but I don't mind digging, so I will dig some low toned that come in good and are in good old spots that may hide treasure.
I also agree with those who kinda said 'it's better to be in a spot with good stuff and with a cheap detector, than a pricey detector and not much loot in the ground', eh?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread