hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
F75 se / Minelab Soveriogn / sunray probe/ whites classic Id/ pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:argue: :evil5:
I have been hunting relics and history for many years now and everytime I hear a story like this it makes me sick. I feel so bad for the family of the finder of this tablet. Most relic hunters I know respect the things they find and dont care to share. This is a gross misconduct of the historic societies of today. If it wasnt for people out researching history and stumbling upon these artifacts the archeoligist would never even know they exist. This guy had only the best intentions and was disgraced by those in high power.

http://wvgazette.com/News/201203170114

Well as i have always said as you see in my signature below...... LET NO ONE KNOW WHAT WERE & WHEN .......... and i never tell or show pictures of anthing i find .......... You have to learn to keep your lips sealed.......... :-X :-X

Loose Lips Sink Ships. What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty? I better shut up myself, otherwise I'd be off an a rant.

BosnMate said:
Loose Lips Sink Ships. What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty? I better shut up myself, otherwise I'd be off an a rant.

Well problem with this case is the given or donated was not challenged until later suggesting that such was granted. Who to it to court accusing who of what?? (innocent until proven guilty?).

It's long beeen known where I live that the thing that separates hillbillies from sob's is called the Ohio River >:(

truckinbutch said:
It's long beeen known where I live that the thing that separates hillbillies from sob's is called the Ohio River >:(

Right on, right on.

lostcauses said:
BosnMate said:

Well problem with this case is the given or donated was not challenged until later suggesting that such was granted. Who to it to court accusing who of what?? (innocent until proven guilty?).

Loose lips sink ships is advice for present day dirt fishers, and innocent until proven guilty is simple, it's advice for both now and also applies to him. If you have artifacts that amount to something rare or nice, you shoot your mouth off, or show them around, someone decides you shouldn't have them and they want what you have, they (I'm not going to enlarge on who they are, you figure it out, I don't want to say any bad words) will take them and you have to prove that you acquired them legally. This has happened to a person I know, and he ended up getting screwed, to the best of my knowledge he didn't do a thing illegal, but he had to spend huge amounts of money defending himself, and lost his stuff in the end. They will lie to get the stuff from you, and you have to prove they are lying. It's like tax law. The government can come up with any off the wall amount and say you owe taxes, and you have to prove you don't owe the money. Where is the innocent until proven guilty? It doesn't apply in tax law, or in archie law. What I'm saying is be careful what you post, and at other times enjoy your finds, but keep your mouth shut, big brother is watching. When I was a kid the U. S. Forest Ranger would tell us where to look for arrow heads. I feel those points were legally acquired with permission. But if they come for my collection, how the heck am I supposed to remember the Rangers name, or even the National Forest 50 or 60 years later? Now, if I was caught today, illegally picking up an arrow head on public land, BLM or National Forest, they would come and take my entire collection. I've got stuff I inherited from my grandmother, uncles, father, and I have picked up arrowheads myself over the years, but the facts are, being a country kid, I don't know of any of the collection that came off of public land, they came from private property, both my own, my relatives and people I worked for who let me keep them, except for the few that we found with the rangers permission. That doesn't make any difference, if they want what I have, they will take it, and I don't have enough money to get it back. That's what I was saying, seems simple enough to me.

BosnMate said:
lostcauses said:
BosnMate said:

Loose lips sink ships is advice for present day dirt fishers, and innocent until proven guilty is simple, it's advice for both now and also applies to him. If you have artifacts that amount to something rare or nice, you shoot your mouth off, or show them around, someone decides you shouldn't have them and they want what you have, they (I'm not going to enlarge on who they are, you figure it out, I don't want to say any bad words) will take them and you have to prove that you acquired them legally. This has happened to a person I know, and he ended up getting screwed, to the best of my knowledge he didn't do a thing illegal, but he had to spend huge amounts of money defending himself, and lost his stuff in the end. They will lie to get the stuff from you, and you have to prove they are lying. It's like tax law. The government can come up with any off the wall amount and say you owe taxes, and you have to prove you don't owe the money. Where is the innocent until proven guilty? It doesn't apply in tax law, or in archie law. What I'm saying is be careful what you post, and at other times enjoy your finds, but keep your mouth shut, big brother is watching. When I was a kid the U. S. Forest Ranger would tell us where to look for arrow heads. I feel those points were legally acquired with permission. But if they come for my collection, how the heck am I supposed to remember the Rangers name, or even the National Forest 50 or 60 years later? Now, if I was caught today, illegally picking up an arrow head on public land, BLM or National Forest, they would come and take my entire collection. I've got stuff I inherited from my grandmother, uncles, father, and I have picked up arrowheads myself over the years, but the facts are, being a country kid, I don't know of any of the collection that came off of public land, they came from private property, both my own, my relatives and people I worked for who let me keep them, except for the few that we found with the rangers permission. That doesn't make any difference, if they want what I have, they will take it, and I don't have enough money to get it back. That's what I was saying, seems simple enough to me.

Good advice BosnMate.

While the old man got screwed out of a tax write off... at least it is in a place where people can enjoy it instead of hidden from sight - as some of you have suggested should be the method of operation.

After all it is about history? Never mind it was accidently recovered from a grave.

NewsMan said:
While the old man got screwed out of a tax write off... at least it is in a place where people can enjoy it instead of hidden from sight - as some of you have suggested should be the method of operation.

After all it is about history? Never mind it was accidently recovered from a grave.
You really like to stir the pot, LOL

It is such we hear the story, we have the (HEAR SAY) and no facts.

lostcauses said:
NewsMan said:

Devil's advocate has a place in every conversation. There's guys on this post talking about finding and never showing anybody anything and I'm the vilian? LOL. Ok... Just glad this wasn't found by someone who thinks that way and was pointing out the silver lining FACT that it was.

Cheers. Beer:30.

NewsMan said:
lostcauses said:
NewsMan said:

It is stories like this that teach people to keep their mouth shut, and never show their items. It provides vry good reason to do so.

Devil's advocate has a place in every conversation. There's guys on this post talking about finding and never showing anybody anything and I'm the vilian? LOL. Ok... Just glad this wasn't found by someone who thinks that way and was pointing out the silver lining FACT that it was.

lostcauses said:
NewsMan said:
lostcauses said:
NewsMan said:

It is stories like this that teach people to keep their mouth shut, and never show their items. It provides vry good reason to do so.

[/quote

If only that little boy playing some 70 odd years ago would have had that TATES RECOVERY SYSTEM in check we would all be better off. Silly silly news man. I bet you do the weather. lol. You get all worked up and no one will listen.

Yeah... If they would have used my suggested system... they probably wouldn't have allowed townhouses to be built on an indian burial site? :dontknow:

NewsMan said:
Yeah... If they would have used my suggested system... they probably wouldn't have allowed townhouses to be built on an indian burial site? :dontknow:

I will give ya that. I dont agree on the burial mounds or anything illegal. I love history and would share anything I have or found legally and on private properties. I find arrowheads all the time on propeties that I have tried to get looked at but no one listens. Now I pick up every item I can right behind the bulldozers that have destroyed the area. I have never sold one peice that I have pick up off the top of the ground or MD finds. I know there are many who do the wrong things but we will never change that. I can find meth labs and any other kinds of trash everywhere I look so I dont mind saving some of the good things from said properties. Happy hunting keep up the good fight , we need some fighters for the land and history not just someone who has one sided outlooks. I will continue to pick up the trash and dispose of it proper. For the other items I find, I will do the best to do the right things as well , even if it is in my home. I am not a debator but do believe everyone has an idea of things to better the way we as historians and finders share and research our finds. I am overall happy to have this item in a place to be veiwed as well but think they should still be the finders property. No matter what.

hdmech71 said:
NewsMan said:

I will give ya that. I dont agree on the burial mounds or anything illegal. I love history and would share anything I have or found legally and on private properties. I find arrowheads all the time on propeties that I have tried to get looked at but no one listens. Now I pick up every item I can right behind the bulldozers that have destroyed the area. I have never sold one peice that I have pick up off the top of the ground or MD finds. I know there are many who do the wrong things but we will never change that. I can find meth labs and any other kinds of trash everywhere I look so I dont mind saving some of the good things from said properties. Happy hunting keep up the good fight , we need some fighters for the land and history not just someone who has one sided outlooks. I will continue to pick up the trash and dispose of it proper. For the other items I find, I will do the best to do the right things as well , even if it is in my home. I am not a debator but do believe everyone has an idea of things to better the way we as historians and finders share and research our finds. I am overall happy to have this item in a place to be veiwed as well but think they should still be the finders property. No matter what.

Kudos. I have a couple of spots on the WVa. line with the real Virginia. I'll keep you in mind if interested.

NewsMan said:
hdmech71 said:
NewsMan said:

Kudos. I have a couple of spots on the WVa. line with the real Virginia. I'll keep you in mind if interested.

Absolutely. I have a couple of young guys that I usally hunt with that are great guys. One of them has actually studied at marshall for arch but is so good at what he does. These guys are young but both are smart and very respectfull. They can always find more info than I ever thought of because I am a little older and not as gadget friendly. lol Anytime you are going to be around this side of the hills contact me and we can work something out. We are looking in to some spots closer to the the Virginia border cause my one friend is a CW buff. He has some different spots in Fayette County that he is supposed to take us to next weekend but I am still wanting to get a little closer to the border, like union or monroe co. Thank ya for the chat and good luck to ya.

NewsMan said:
hdmech71 said:
NewsMan said:

:icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :help: "Real Virginia"? Sompin you'd care to 'splain here , neighbor ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back