Ghost Town Adventure Part 2

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
After leaving the house, I went on down into the oil field. Now understand that this area used to have a population of about 30,000 people back in the late 20's and early 30's and had a mainstreet boardwalk of about 3 miles long. It was later converted to pasture land and in the last few years it has been reopened to try and recover more oil that is still there.
There is one area that looks really desolate but in a couple of these pics you will see areas of bright objects reflecting sunlight. This is broken glass, bottles, and pottery shards that were broken when the bldgs were dozed and became pasture land. There's cobalt blue, green, red, milk glass, broken crocks, peppersauce bottles, and also beer mugs as this area had many saloons, brothels, and other boom town businesses.
By looking at the 1st pic yu would never think there was anything there.

Attachments

• 3 sands glass 1.JPG
    3 sands glass 1.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 370
  • 3 sands glass 2.JPG
    3 sands glass 2.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 357
  • 3 sands glass 3.JPG
    3 sands glass 3.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 364
  • 3 sands glass 4.JPG
    3 sands glass 4.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 362
Upvote 0

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Wow!! that site has some great possibilities! specially if theres purple glass... any metal finds there?

OP
OP
stoney56

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
There's all kinds of metal finds here, Jake. What you see is just what years of erosion have washed out from the bank. There's more under the broomweed and grass. The 1st pic covers roughly 250 yards. I've also picked up marbles from this area as well as ceramic buttons. There are also numerous cellar holes and old oil rig concrete foundation strewn throuohout the area.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Stoney,

wow.

very interesting. Would take years to check out the entire area.

Probably been hit a lot by other detectors?

Good two post, interesting info, nice photos. Tells the story.

have a good un.............

OP
OP
stoney56

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Tnx all. Yes, Sherm there have been others on this site but since there's so much territory, it'll be impossible to get it all. I do know that there were recoveries of IH's, early wheats, silver including Morgans and even a $5 gold piece that was just laying on the surface. Unfortunately it wasn't me on that one.
Gloves are definitely a plus in this environment. It's just a shame that so many bottles were broken. I've even found pieces of little brown jugs and crocks along with pattern carnival glass.
The area is so large that trying to cross reference the map that I have showing schools, gyms, and ballfields with a current map is a little difficult.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good luck, Stoney. I think you could spend years at that site. Is it close to your home?

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that place is cool!

I'd be diggin for bottles/etc. for days in that place! ;D

HH

Lonewolfe

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
It's a real shame that all the glass is broken......what a treasure trove! You're bound to find something intact there. Good Luck!!

Happy Hunting!

Moon

OP
OP
stoney56

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
haupin, yes it's close---about 15 miles. I plan on going back this weekend and do some more searching. Sometimes it's hard to decide whether to show you guys pics. or swing the coil. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread