Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
desertdigger,

I keep a growing file of leads that I use whenever I travel. I would've jumped on leads like you posted. I was surprised I hadn't read either story and filed it, so I did a search on your words and your user id and I can't find your posts. What did you name them? I would love yo keep track of your leads. Of course, if I jumped up and went after every lead or planned a trip every time someone posted, I'd be divorced by now. I'm happily married, so that's not an option for me.

At the risk of sounding blunt, I get a bit weary of the accusational posts that try to make every reader on this forum feel like heels since we don't respond or answer. No one person on this forum deserves any more attention to their postings as anyone else. My life is about contribution and service to others. If they choose not to respond to my contribution (no matter how important I think it is), I can live with it. It's a tough thing to learn to have high expectations of others, but give them breathing room if they don't meet them. But that's the only way you can stay sane :) I agree with SS, what goes around comes around, so don't give up on contributing. You've done well with that on this forum already, so keep it up.

If you would tell me where your leads are, I'd be in debt to you. I hope you have a great birthday - happy 69th! :D

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Happy B-day DD> It feels good to be above ground does'nt it!? Happy B-day to you too Siegfried Schlagrule. Any how, 1 wonderfull wife 4 great kids and 60 hours of work means I ain't hunting as much as I would like. Thanks for the info though. Baja sounds like a great trip. Good luck! Chris

Desertdigger

Jul 15, 2004
Wickenberg , AZ
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,Tesoro Lobo ST, Gold Bug ,Minelab probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Guys! Yes it does get to you sometimes when those thomgs happen.
I will be forwardimg the Can on info to Your buddy who has already e-mailed me about it. Maybe he can follow up with his efforts here. I haven't been back to the area since 1969 so I don't know the current circumstances except it is so far back into the swamps I doubt that any developments has taken place. Our efforts yo recover were strictly due to limitations of time. equipment. mosquito's out of this world and the fact that we were on active duty in the military, had small kids and not a lot of time, found a lot of brass artifacts in the location but its saltwater marsh. Any one who has never seen some of the civil war forts out in the middle of the swamps with those huge cannons an d has not wondered how they moved them? it must have cost lives and gold to put some of them in those places. Any of you that are able to spend the time required to personally check the area of my silver find in south Texas in 1969 Pm me and i will give you the particulars. This will be a move there take your time and find out present conditions and me well be impossibles due to development. The basic fact is that I screwed up my research and did not ask the key question for 20 years and that was to late for me! The coins had been saved by a store keeper and dated from 1910 to 1938, another important clue I missed since the house and store associated with them was not destroyed by a hurricane until 1941! I passed over this fact until it was too late and I was 1000 miles away! The coins were in 1 quart and 1/2 gallon fruit jars with galvanized/glass lined lids, they were buried equal distance betwen a line of trees planted along an alley in a very old town but one that storms regularly tore up the houses. When I located the first one is was after a long search, the second a dhorteer search and from then on no detector was needed. These were buried with a post hole digger, in sand , not quite 4' and a single jar betwen each tree. My mistake was assuming that the trees that were there then was all there was but I found out later that they extended All the way acrossthe state hi way which was not there when they were buried and the property lot was originally double the size when the coins were buried. So all someone has to do is drive up and look and see what is in place now, maybe an apartment house or a doctors office I don't know but i do know that there at 3 years worth of skiming the till buried between the stumps of those trees if you could find them. This is downtown of a small town and its likely still a vacant lot or parking lot.I have learned to do better research since then!! Later!

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
This close call I had is what has kept me hooked on the search for the last 9 or so years.
A few months after I first began MDing I decited to research a story about a train robbery where the 2 thieves held a couple prisoner on the couples farm. When the police tracked them down at this farm house only a couple hours later, they got into a gun fight and both thieves were killed. None of the gold bars was anywhere to be found. The couple told the police the men had tied them up and left the house for about 30 minutes before they returned. They believe they were burrying the crate of gold bars.
I researched this story faithfully for about a month. Before beginning the hunt I needed one more bit of information from the Library in this town. I fealt I would then have all the information I needed to begin. I loaded detector and gear into the truck and set off to the library, knowing I would be gone about 2 days.
I asked the librarian for a particular newspaper clipping and she said to me, "This sure is a popular item this month, but I think they already found everything".
My heart sank. I asked her what she meant and she said, "there were 2 gentlemen in here about a month ago asking about the same article". She also went on to say "I read in the paper about 2 weeks ago where these 2 gentlemen had found a crate full of gold bars from a train robbery burried under a tree next to the old house".
This Cache had been burried like 50 years, and I missed it by less than a month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is what keeps me hunting.
David

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
thats not the stuff that is supposed to be in belton is it?? in the 1800s a kid found a clay pot full of spanish gold coin.? you can look it up.? there is supposed to be two more chest of gold that have never been found. the proof of the origanal find is a letter in the Williamson county sun you can find references to this on the internet.

gboy

Jul 5, 2004
Black beard,,
You show some pictures with old discarded digging tools...and you claim it as TREASURE?? In the Philippines,if you show this pictures to your fellow treasure hunters and claim it as treasure...am sure they will die laughing....those are worthless JUNKS ! The treasure in our country are .....several stockfiles of GOLD BARS, usually in thousand tons....these are the TREASURES that the C.I.A is drooling about...

Desertdigger

Jul 15, 2004
Wickenberg , AZ
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,Tesoro Lobo ST, Gold Bug ,Minelab probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been informed that the cannon I had posted about in this thread is now in a state park, Dang! Sorry.

gboy

Jul 5, 2004
To all treasure enthusiast:
I'm a treasure hunter in the Philipines, regarding the picture of gold bars you saw in Http://wwww.yamashita-gold.com, 90% of those gold pictures are FAKE, these are the picutures being fiddled by syndicates in our country specially in Mindanao. How do I know? Simple, why this company is still looking for financier if they claim to recover millions worth of gold bars...it only means they only have FAKE GOLD PICTURES,NO MORE NO LESS, not the real gold bars. In fact we have also several of this fake pictures.

Talos

Dec 10, 2004
Karl von Mueller was mentioned in a post. Could anyone supply any basic info on Mueller? I ran across one of his books, "The Treasure Hunter's Manual," 7th edition, 1966. Mueller autographed it inside, "To Ben Eckert, Jr with best regards, Karl, 4-26-66." I bought it years ago at a Goodwill. Just thought it was neat.

RustyRelicHunter

Oct 5, 2004
SC
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Great book to read if you doubt that treasures are waiting to be found!

I am currently reading one of the best treasure hunting books I have seen during the past 25 years: American Coin Treasures and Hoards by Q. David Bowers of Bowers & Merena Galleries published in 1997. Mr. Bowers has been a coin dealer for the past 40+ years and this book is written from the perspective of a coin dealer who has seen many found coin treasures and hoards.

Many coin dealers will admit that they would be out of business due to lack of inventory if it were not for the thousands of finds of buried, hidden and stashed coin hoards that are found by accident or by detectors. Mr. Bowers even includes a section on finds made with metal detectors but I believe the real value of the book is the ideas you can pick up on where to hunt if you hope to recover a cache!

This is a big book (over 450 pages) and pretty expensive to purchase so I suggest you check your public library or request it through Interlibrary Loan.

C

Charles,Oak Island

Don't let the mexarallies catch you. Hear those jails are unhealthy for American's

gsmeiers

Nov 25, 2004
Appleton, WI
Desertdigger said:
...BUT no one responded, not one inquiry!! Same with my offer to lead someone on a trip to Baja, Mexico, NO one responded. I think all of you except CPTBIL and a few others like to talk a good hunt but when it comes down to putting the rubber on the road and the loop in the dirt most of you just ain't got it!

OK.. You can count me in!! I'm ready to put the rubber on the road!!!? I'm ready for adventure! :)

Desertdigger said:
Tell me Happy Birthday, I am 69 today and have been Treasure hunting since I was 8 and with a metal detector since? 1966...

Happy Belated birtyday Desertdigger!? I wasn't here in Sept...

Garrett

gsmeiers

Nov 25, 2004
Appleton, WI
Re: Great book to read if you doubt that treasures are waiting to be found!

RustyRelicHunter said:
This is a big book (over 450 pages) and pretty expensive to purchase so I suggest you check your public library or request it through Interlibrary Loan.

Yeah.. Good luck finding it!!! I just check my library system, and they don't have it... Found it on amazon..

"5 used & new from $180.00" -- Talk about gouging! It's a $60 book. I saw one for $300...

Guess I'll need to do some library hoppin' and keep lookin'. Looks like a good book.

Garrett

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOT available in any PA libraries either. public or otherwise :(

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just found this thread last night, and about 2 hours later I accidentally found something that might interest you guys. I would imagine that some of the rest of you are coin collectors since you do this as a hobby. Take a look at the 2005 edition (it might be in the older editions, I haven't checked) of R. S. Yeoman's "The Red Book" (if you don't know what I'm talking about, it's considered to be one of the most reliable books for coin pricing and it's available at just about any bookstore). Look near the back, right before the index and there are several pages of caches found and another section of shipwrecks found. Some of the caches date back to the 1600's and they're all extremely valuable. One of them that sticks out in my mind is a barrel full of almost 20,000 coins (double eagles I think) that, today, would be worth almost $20 million. I'm not sure what it was worth when they found it, but I sure wouldn't have minded coming across something like that... Check it out though, it makes for some interesting reading, plus they're all true and documented so it gives us a little bit of hope anyway.

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
I can't help but think that with all the support and apparent public opinion about the government taking over the treasure finds that the laws couldn't be overturned. I'm personally not familiar with the current laws on the books today as far as finding "treasure" on land or at sea but it seems that with strong public opinion and a few good lobbyists we could at least get a fair medium. There must be some kind of time element involved. Say someone stole your car and dumped it in a remote area then along happens ole Joe who finds it and starts driving it around...then you see it and say hey that's my car, you'd expect to get it back wouldn't you? But as for a government to lay claim to a lost gold cache or meteroite or whatever that's just too much. Historical value is great, but let it be my choice. I pay all the governments taxes when I purchase something or drive it on their roads, can't that be enough?

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
Here is one you can research and PROVE! In La Crosse Wisconsin at the Mons Anderson House some work was being done. Under the floor in a old kettle was about $135 in gold coins. The workers found it, reported it and recieved nothing. This happened years ago. It is in Thomas P. Terry's treasure atlas of America. It made the papers. I live in this town people still talk of it once in a while.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the workers should have shut up and kept it just goes to show you,
people taking care of their own! >:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread