Glass ball net float-pontil stamp mark-any ideas who?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• fishing net glass ball float light.jpg
    fishing net glass ball float light.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 600
  • fishing ball float maker stamp vcc.jpg
    fishing ball float maker stamp vcc.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 502
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks PBK,i've e-mailed him and the other you pm'd me with.If I hear back from either,I will post it on here.In the meantime if anyone else knows anything or happens to own the book "Glass Fishing Floats of the World" by Stu Farnsworth and Alan D.Rammer,please reply.Thanks. :)

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got an email back from Stu Farnsworth.Although he didn't tell me what the VCC stands for,he did tell me that this float is from Portugal and was used for long line Cod fishing,probably around the N.Sea area or the Southern Atlantic as several have been found on small islands in the southern Atlantic.He said it dates from the late '20's to the late 40's.Pretty cool.

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggum...not sure what the V is ..but I think the CC may stand for Canning Company...thus, V..... Canning Company and it was used as a net cork on an old sardine seine and the cannery marked their floats to show ownership? Or I could be way off...:):)
Regardless, those old handblown net balls are few and far between and are sweet to have...where'd you get it?

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Hey, Dig... glad you got some good feedback from Stu Farnsworth.

MD's "CC" suggestion is interesting, too— but if the float's Portuguese, then the letters should be "CE" for companhia enlatando.

Don't know much about 'em, but would suggest not cracking it open to see what makes it float! :D

Again, neat find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions