What's new

Glass beads made out of insulators?

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2011
Messages
1,039
Reaction score
947
Golden Thread
0
I found a glass bead the other day made out of what I think is the top of a green glass electrical insulator. Anyone one else find a bead made out of the same material? Not in a position to post a photo at this time but I got kind of excited when I saw it.

It measures 1" by 1" by 3/4"
 
Upvote 0
20200119_130601.webp Well that worked off the phone. I have it sitting on a mano that I found near the bead. The hole has the cone shape on both sides.
 
That's a neat find! I haven't found one like that yet.
 
Nice looking bead. The material looks like some type of “ for the lack of a better term” agate.
 
Could it be made from the bottom of an old bottle? Don't know where you are at, but the Apaches did that in the 1800's, and if it was old (as it looks) the glass would have weathered to give it that nice worn look. Since it's hand drilled, it must have been made from something glass. Thought I'd throw that out there as a possibility. Great find!!
 
Petty cool to dark of a color to be an insulator usually you can see through the insulater.
 
I think the insulators came along after the beads?
 
Petty cool to dark of a color to be an insulator usually you can see through the insulater.

Iv found some insulators that color and a few dark green ones they came in quite a few colors
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1579658988.477738.webp
** not my picture **
 
Super find Jon. In JMO glass would be to brittle to drill with stone(I've never tried it) I would lean toward a agate of some type or Gem stone.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom