diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I shipped an item to Australia via the GSP on ebay. It arrived broken. I can not find out how the buyer goes about filing an insurance claim to get their money back. It was insured via their policy. The only way I see for the buyer to receive a refund is to open a case against me? Is this true?

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I already researched this for an hour this morning. I already opted out of the GSP a couple weeks ago before this even happened. I had the thing double boxed with bubble wrap around the inner boxes and the thing was inside of it's own original box too. It was also bubble wrapped. So it was triple boxed and wrapped. I knew it was going to Australia, so I did a really good job packing it tightly. I ship fragile glass items on a regular basis. I'm particular when it comes to my packing. I won't even let the wife do it. Just to avoid a possible future argument, lol. I'm sure it's broke but i'm interested to see how this one turns out, especially after the message below.

Here's what she messaged me this morning-

"Went to post office today. They told me the parcel was not sent from overseas, it was posted from NSW Australia as marked on label on box. There is no international claim for damages. Why was I charged import charges if it was posted in Australia? "

I told her I had no idea. Try getting a hold of ebay and see what they have to say. I haven't heard back yet. According to the policy, I should be covered, that's all I know. Especially since I sent it to the GSP facility via priority mail also. It's valued at less than $50.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds strange that the package was posted from NSW Australia. I would check the buyers bidding history to see if she purchased a second similar item from Australia.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that bites im sending one to australia tomorrow,but it is already broke and sold for parts so maybe ill be ok

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds strange that the package was posted from NSW Australia. I would check the buyers bidding history to see if she purchased a second similar item from Australia.
No, it was a relatively hard to find item and it was the only one listed on ebay for the several months that it took to sell.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
"Went to post office today. They told me the parcel was not sent from overseas, it was posted from NSW Australia as marked on label on box. There is no international claim for damages. Why was I charged import charges if it was posted in Australia? "

My guess is that the package went from FL to ebay's shipping place in KY, and then was put on an airplane in Cincinnati that was flying to AU. When it got to AU, whoever is in charge of those packages, added AU postage to it.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Anybody know if bad feedback can be left for the original seller? I guess that's what it really comes down to anyway. I use global shipping on everything that is allowed. Probably have sold 20 items over the last 2 years through it. No problems yet.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody know if bad feedback can be left for the original seller? I guess that's what it really comes down to anyway. I use global shipping on everything that is allowed. Probably have sold 20 items over the last 2 years through it. No problems yet.
This was my first problem with the GSP. I opted out after a potential buyer from England sent me a message stating that I lost a sale because he would rather pay the import taxes to his country than to a 3rd party shipping service. Anyway, here is what the policy says regarding feedback-

Feedback. Your Buyers will be able to leave you Feedback for transactions involving GSP Items. However, eBay will remove negative or neutral feedback associated with GSP transactions in the following circumstances:
If your Buyer files an eBay Buyer Protection claim against you involving a GSP Item and eBay resolves the claim in your favor because you were not at fault (or because eBay determines that Pitney Bowes or its third party service providers were at fault), eBay will remove any negative or neutral feedback associated with that GSP Item.
If after acceptance at the U.S. Shipping Center a GSP Item is not, or cannot be, delivered to your Buyer, eBay will remove any negative or neutral feedback associated with that GSP Item.
If a GSP Item is delivered to your Buyer and your Buyer leaves you negative or neutral feedback associated with the GSP Item but does not file an eBay Buyer Protection claim, you may contact Customer Support to request that any negative or neutral feedback associated with that GSP Item be removed.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I just went through the same thing with an item to Japan. The buyer said the porcelain pipe was broken because it was not packed with shipping material. I overpack my goods and used the GSP. They are responsible and are supposed to contact the seller before forwarding the shipment if it arrives in Kentucky broken. I explained this to the buyer and he stated all he could do was file the claim against me. I explained the situation in detail how it was the shipper's fault and told the buyer that if the product was damaged, it should be filed with eBay. After 3 days, he did not escalate, so I sent him another email explaining what happened and his course of action. The next day, I escalated the issue to eBay on our behalf and they refunded the buyer his $107.00 and did not charge me. Happy it turned out this way, but them holding my $107.00 hostage made me nervous about GSP. Read the details of the Seller protection…there are several loopholes that could put fault on the seller…as in "if the country of manufacture listed is wrong". I only use GSP if I am sure of all of the details and that the chance for damage is minimal.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was my first problem with the GSP. I opted out after a potential buyer from England sent me a message stating that I lost a sale because he would rather pay the import taxes to his country than to a 3rd party shipping service. Anyway, here is what the policy says regarding feedback-

That makes ZERO sense. Thats like saying I'd rather pay the IRS directly every week instead of having my employer take the taxes out of my check. You are paying regardless and it goes to the same place, regardless. Sounds like the "potential buyer" was looking to get out of paying the import taxes and used the GSP as a scapegoat.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes ZERO sense. Thats like saying I'd rather pay the IRS directly every week instead of having my employer take the taxes out of my check. You are paying regardless and it goes to the same place, regardless. Sounds like the "potential buyer" was looking to get out of paying the import taxes and used the GSP as a scapegoat.
Here's the message-

Hi I am considering buying your item but the import charges are much to high. It is saying that they are currently $116 which is much higher than I would pay on entry to the uk. For goods it is calculated at 20% which would be around $70-80 including admin charge. I don't know whether you are aware of this when you sign up for the scheme but it really is extortionate. I know you do not benefit from the extra money paid so I thought you should know how much it discourages buyers like me who are happy to pay import charges direct to our government on entry to the country.

GregK

Jan 10, 2008

As a Canadian we can get charged taxes and duties on any packages coming in to the country. The thing is that it is very haphazard. I have bought hundreds (if not thousands) of items from outside our borders and have very rarely been charged any fees. The GSP does discourage me from buying because it automatically charges these fees up front. There is a 99% chance I would pay no fees if it were sent via regular post. If I do get dinged for taxes they DO get paid directly to Revenue Canada and are collected at the post office when picking the item up. The taxes collected are typically 12% of declared value. GSP charges far more than that! Unless its an absolute MUST HAVE item I will NOT buy anything through the GSP.

Greg

Frghtshkr

Apr 23, 2013
Gilbert AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Cube, Royal Mini Highbanker, Angus Mackirk sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do shipping but mostly larger items. you should try calling a 3 PL Dax Global or USPS. You would pay for the shipping and have to fill out the necessary paperwork of course but the duties and taxes and clearing have to be done by the consignee with their broker.
That being said in most cases insurance on the item costs extra. They usually only give the shipper $ 50-100.00 free anything more is like .30 per $100.00. I don't know anything about the program you are in with Ebay but it sounds like its just another way to generate revenue for them.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a Canadian we can get charged taxes and duties on any packages coming in to the country. The thing is that it is very haphazard. I have bought hundreds (if not thousands) of items from outside our borders and have very rarely been charged any fees. The GSP does discourage me from buying because it automatically charges these fees up front. There is a 99% chance I would pay no fees if it were sent via regular post. If I do get dinged for taxes they DO get paid directly to Revenue Canada and are collected at the post office when picking the item up. The taxes collected are typically 12% of declared value. GSP charges far more than that! Unless its an absolute MUST HAVE item I will NOT buy anything through the GSP.

Greg

I understand you point, and I'm not disputing what you are saying. All I am saying was there was some faulty logic....and it confirms what I said about wanting to bypass duty/import charges.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I understand you point, and I'm not disputing what you are saying. All I am saying was there was some faulty logic....and it confirms what I said about wanting to bypass duty/import charges.

From what I have gathered and read from others outside the US, the GSP charges really high duty and import fees whether the country charges them or not. Like GregK mentioned, the fees will be paid upon pickup of the item in Canada and they are less than GSP. I suspect the difference in price does not get forwarded to those countries. My fear is that if I ship overseas w/o GSP, and something goes wrong, eBay will ding me because I chose not to play with their ball.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What problem does the GSP solve other than the ebay-needs-more-revenue problem? I have shipped everything from autographed guitars to pencil sharpeners internationally and never had a problem. If it's fragile or to a non-major country, I won't do it.

At the end of the day, the buyer is factoring in shipping costs into the total he's willing to pay, and so the higher the shipping I charge, the less I end up making in profit. I would rather stop shipping internationally than add a bunch of ebay cycle time and administrative costs on top of what my buyer is paying.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
What problem does the GSP solve other than the ebay-needs-more-revenue problem? I have shipped everything from autographed guitars to pencil sharpeners internationally and never had a problem. If it's fragile or to a non-major country, I won't do it. At the end of the day, the buyer is factoring in shipping costs into the total he's willing to pay, and so the higher the shipping I charge, the less I end up making in profit. I would rather stop shipping internationally than add a bunch of ebay cycle time and administrative costs on top of what my buyer is paying.
the problem it solves for me is guessing or figuring out shipping costs for other countries and actually going to the post office and filling out the custom forms. I print my postage and just drop it. Much quicker and easier.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions