Go Wireless With Bluetooth

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 6",11" coils, Teknetics T2SE,&T2 Classic, 5", CORS Fortune 5.5x9.5", 11", CORS Strike 12x13", 15"coils, Legacy 3500, 4", 8",10" & 11"DD coils, Lesche digging Knife, Lesche T Handle Shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you tired of being teathered to your metal detector by headphone wires? Ever been hunting in thick brush and suddenly have your headset jerked off your head when the wires between your headset and your detector got caught on a tree or bush branch? Or have you ever put down your detector to recover a target and your headsets or earbuds suddenly go flying along with your metal detector? I've had all of these things happen and I've had to replace more than a few headsets and earbuds prematurely because of severed wires or connections. Some of you may have spent $100 + dollars on a premium pair of Grey Ghosts or other high end headsets or earbuds and would not be happy campers if you damaged them like that and had to spend the money to replace them. It doesn't have to be that way. You can now go wireless using bluetooth APT-X LL (low latency) technology. I've searched the internet for alternatives to some of the proprietary brand bluetooth metal detector kits. There are many mnufacturers of bluetooth receivers and transmitters and they vary in cost and quality. One receiver/transmitter in particular caught my attention...the Trond Wireless Transmitter & Receiver Model BT-DUO. This small unit measures 1 1/4" wide by 1 3/4" long and 3/8" thick. Depending on which position that you select on the switch, it can be used as a bluetooth 5.0 transmitter or a receiver unit.
The actual cost for the conversion to bluetooth was $60.00. If you want the totally wireless headsets or earbuds add that to the cost of $30.00 for 1 Trond receiver & transmitter unit.
The Trond receiver & transmitter unit will run for 8 hours on a full charge and takes approximately 1 1/2 hours to charge.

To convert your detector to wireless, you will need 2 of these units if you wish to still use your wired headset or earbuds.

If you choose to purchase a wireless bluetooth headset or wireless earbuds to pair with the transmitter unit on the detector. (the headset or earbuds must be APT-X LL (low latency) to work well with your metal detector).

You will need a 1/4" to 1/8" headphone jack adapter if your detector has a 1/4" headphone jack to plug the Trond transmitter/receiver unit into your detector. Set the TX/RX switch on this Trond unit to TX.

For the receiving unit, you will need a 1/8" to 1/4" headphone jack adapter if your wired headset has a 1/4" jack. If your wired headset or earbuds have a 1/8 jack no adapter is needed to plug into the receiving unit). Set the TX/RX switch on this Trond unit to RX.

Now pair the 2 units to each other. Once paired, you are all set. No more damaged headsets or earbuds.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread