What's new

Going thru first box now.. question....

Silverbelle

Greenie
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I'm going through my first box i picked up from the bank this morning. (halves) Nothing so far but just getting going.

How do I know if I am passing up PROOFS? Will it just stand out against the others? Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
Thicker, better defined rim and the "S" mint mark.
I spot 99% of them when checking the rims...
 
let's just say you'll know. Mr. Kennedy's face will have more of a matte finish to it
 
Piercesdad said:
let's just say you'll know. Mr. Kennedy's face will have more of a matte finish to it

Thanks to both of you.... I feel better now... still nothing... oh, except one weird one where Kennedy is painted, not sloppy paint, but nice, shaded like an artist did it.
 
Question, have you called around to all the banks in your area to ask if they have any halves?

Searching boxes is great, don't get me wrong, but there may be a lot of customer rolled halves sitting around just waiting for you to go get them. Just a thought.
 
wharghoul said:
Question, have you called around to all the banks in your area to ask if they have any halves?

Searching boxes is great, don't get me wrong, but there may be a lot of customer rolled halves sitting around just waiting for you to go get them. Just a thought.

Hmm.. I didn't think they would let me buy them if I didn't have an account there..... I'll call around when I'm done. 5 rolls left. Found (1) 40%

Thanks :icon_sunny:
 
Silverbelle said:
wharghoul said:
Question, have you called around to all the banks in your area to ask if they have any halves?

Searching boxes is great, don't get me wrong, but there may be a lot of customer rolled halves sitting around just waiting for you to go get them. Just a thought.

Hmm.. I didn't think they would let me buy them if I didn't have an account there..... I'll call around when I'm done. 5 rolls left. Found (1) 40%

Thanks :icon_sunny:

from my experience banks hate having halves sitting in there vault and would love to get rid of them.

Jason
 
Fredness said:
Thicker, better defined rim and the "S" mint mark.
I spot 99% of them when checking the rims...

I agree with this statement. Definitely noticeable.

Fact is if you miss one edge searching, than it's probably not a keeper.

Mojo
 
coinmojo said:
Fredness said:
Thicker, better defined rim and the "S" mint mark.
I spot 99% of them when checking the rims...

I agree with this statement. Definitely noticeable.

Fact is if you miss one edge searching, than it's probably not a keeper.

Mojo

The edges are very shiny, very, very thick, and are sharp, like you can feel them. Hope that helps! ;D
 
On the proofs the DEVICES of the Coins have frosty looks
while the FIELDS have MIRROW like looks.

Also the "S" Mint mark.

There are some proofs that are not "S".


Devices = The image, eagles, etc.
Fields=all around with out images

Check on the Internet the following coins. Due to the size of the coin you can see the difference.

American Silver Eagle
American Silver Eagle Proof
American Silver Eagle Reverse Proof
 
Silverbelle said:
How do I know if I am passing up PROOFS?

Thanks for all of the advice.... that helps alot! No proofs on that box. Have another ordered and should get on Wed. I hate that I have to wait for it! Uuggh!
I'm considering going to see if my bank has a box of dimes to go through this weekend... I think I've got the itch!
 
Piercesdad said:
let's just say you'll know. Mr. Kennedy's face will have more of a matte finish to it

And even if you just search rims they stand out there too.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom