The Family and I are going on vacation to Mexico and was wondering if scanning the beaches while I was there would be a good idea?.. I could probably find out on the www but am I allowed to pack my md in my suitcase?.. Also if anybody has done this have they had any luck? Thanks for the info in adance!!!!
I detected in Mexico, back in about 1995-ish, and had a lot of fun. We went down through El Paso/Jaurez, and had the detectors in full -view in the back of our truck. The border patrol saw them and said something to my host, and my host said something back to him in Spanish. After we drove through, I asked my friend what they had said to each other. The guy had asked "what's that?", and my host told him "for pasa tiempo". Meaning, for a past-time or hobby. The gaurd had just shrugged his shoulders and waved us through.
We spent 2 weeks going all through little towns in the Sierra madres, that date back to the 1600 and 1700s. Never found any caches, but did get individual coins dating back to the mid 1800s. All I can say is: There's LOT OF TRASH EVERYWHERE. Even the most remote ruins back in the boon-docks are magnets for trash. Because down there, they don't have curb-site pickup like we do here for trash-service (except maybe in the biggest cities). So down there, when you have trash to dump, they just take it to the nearest cliff or river or abandoned ruins and pitch it out the back of their trucks. So no matter where we went, no matter how remote, there was modern trash

Still had fun though. Great people, great food, good booze, etc...
Oh, and every single person down there is convinced there's certain treasures in every cave, and by every ruin. Treasure lore and superstition is everywhere, and they're 100% certain that every tale is iron clad. After a week or so we stopped even paying attention to all that stuff, and just contented ourselves to try various ruins and yards of the relatives, etc....