worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I am constantly picking up line stupid people leave laying around,unfortunately this heron found it before me,can't close his mouth so he sure can't eat..

K1600_DSCN6332_InPixio.JPG

K1600_DSCN6329.JPG

This young jay flew tree to tree spying out grub on the shore..he was pretty good at it too.

K1600_DSCN6320_InPixio.JPG

K1600_DSCN6316.JPG

GOD Bless

Chris

that's so very sad. every little lake and pond around here has a fishing line disposal. It's a pvc pipe sealed on the ends with a hole to stuff excess line in. If anything I guess it makes one aware to not leave a bundle of fishing line laying around. You should send that photo to your local news.

Some game departments will rescue animals like that. Call and report it. Maybe they can throw a net over it, and cut the line off. Seems like an easy fix.

Some game departments will rescue animals like that. Call and report it. Maybe they can throw a net over it, and cut the line off. Seems like an easy fix.

No telling where he went or which river he went to.The thought flashed to try and get him undone,that's when he flew the coup.

Most state game departments have been decimated by cuts, but it is worth a call. It may take several calls to reach a live person. If they cannot respond, they may know of a volunteer rescue group or individual in the area. Don't try to rescue this heron yourself. I have always risked personal injury by helping animals and I have never been hurt. The great blue heron is the exception. Someone trying to help one died when that long bill penetrated his eye.

I’ve always thought how nice it would be if an animal could tell when you want to help it

I saw a guy once hook a common Merganser. Having seen one jerk rip the line hard, leaving the treble hook sets in the bird, and it swim off, apparently in pain, and going to die, I SCREAMED at the new guy. DON'T BREAK THE LINE, BRING IT TO THE SHORE AND I'LL GET YOUR LURE BACK. I must have scared the snot out of him but he obeyed. Bird was hooked lightly on the legs. I got the hooks out and let it go. Trick was my needle nose pliers and I put my hat over its head to calm it down.

I saw a guy once hook a common Merganser. Having seen one jerk rip the line hard, leaving the treble hook sets in the bird, and it swim off, apparently in pain, and going to die, I SCREAMED at the new guy. DON'T BREAK THE LINE, BRING IT TO THE SHORE AND I'LL GET YOUR LURE BACK. I must have scared the snot out of him but he obeyed. Bird was hooked lightly on the legs. I got the hooks out and let it go. Trick was my needle nose pliers and I put my hat over its head to calm it down.

I used to take some inexperienced fishermen out to show them how to fish the breaking rockfish in the fall in Chesapeake Bay. They sometimes didn't listen and wound up catching birds. My nephew once caught 2 terns with the same cast - because he could not resist casting right into the shrieking birds over the breaking fish. The way to fish under birds is to cast off to the side of them - never into their midst. Not only will a bird not be caught, but the bigger fish are almost always off to the side and under the small breaking fish. In fact, those deeper rockfish off to the sides pick off and cannibalize the smaller ones under the birds.

You are absolutely right about calming the bird by covering the eyes. I've used towels. Nice job with the pliers. Mergansers act differently than gulls and terns and I've never had to rescue one. I have untangled many seagulls and terns and every one was just tangled by the line wrapped around the wings action.

BTW, I never use treble hooks. I always replace trebles with single hooks and grind off the barb with a dremel tool. That way, when I wish to release a fish, all it takes is to give the line some slack, and the fish releases itself without needing to be handled. This time of year with hot water, handling and releasing a fish is an automatic death sentence for that fish. There really should be no rockfish fishing allowed at all from mid-June to at least mid-August.

Last edited:
I haven't even gotten a fishing license this year. Because the one place I go is polluted with morons, if I were to go again, and saw that not only would i photograph them, I'd be calling the natural resources folks and swearing out a warrant.

I haven't even gotten a fishing license this year. Because the one place I go is polluted with morons, if I were to go again, and saw that not only would i photograph them, I'd be calling the natural resources folks and swearing out a warrant.

One place? Most people who call themselves fishermen are an embarrassment IMO with no sense of environmental ethics. Unfortunately, gross stupidity is not illegal; even illegal acts are rarely enforced.

I also prefer to switch to light hooks that are carbon steel, not stainless or galvanized. I want the hook to be light enough to maybe straighten before the line breaks. If I hook a large fish that breaks the line or spools me (has happened once - might have caught a submarine...), I want a hook that will rust. The most rust-prone hooks give the fish a chance if they break the line. And if a fish does die with a hook in it, it will be eaten by other animals on the water or when washed up and that stainless or galvanized hook could kill again.

Maybe somebody will read this and give more thought to the hooks they use.

Last edited:
Nice photos! Unfortunately, the bird will probably die a slow death. :BangHead:

That is so sad. While out on the lake once, we had a gull land on our boat. Very unusual thing. Mr WD then saw that it had a hook in it's foot. So, I guess, it was asking us for help. We were a little nervous about it, but the gull was a very good patient, and Mr WD was able to get the hook out and set it free.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back