Gold bracelet found for owner.

kevino1960

Oct 22, 2006
West Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark Fisher 1265X
My friend (and mentor, Jerry has been MD'in' since the 70's) and I were working a vacant lot yesterday when a car drives by with the driver giving us 'the eye'. I tell Jerry 'we've got company' as the car pulls into the alley and stops. We figure it's the owner come to give us the ole heave ho but, the guy walks up and after the prerequisite niceties (findin' anything?) says he'll give us $50 to find a gold bracelet he lost while planting banana trees. We tell him we'll do it for free and follow him to his house (a big brick, 3400 sq ft built in the 20's with a matching child's play house) to look for the bracelet. Takes Jerry about 5 min with his Fisher 552 (best machine I have ever seen in action and it's 20+ years old), this bracelet came out of the ground and it looked like a dogs choker chain! The guy insisted on givin' us the $50 so we graciously accepted (it was a $3000 bracelet!) and hunted the lot next door where the old house had been torn down. Found a few wheaties and lots of clad as well as a praying hands medallion. The funny part is the guy asked if we had a card, in case he or his friends ever needed our services! LOL my better half had suggested I print some up to give people that approached us just a week earlier, this had been prompted after a surveyor had talked to us in downtown St Pete expressing interest in MD'ing and telling us about all of the old places he often surveyed. I hadn't followed her sage advice but I will now as this could lead to a good amount of places to hunt. A lesson here in the importance of networking and leads garnered just from being friendly and personable with people you meet while detecting. I read a lot of 'horror' stories in these forums and I realize that there are people out there that would try and take your finds but, most people just have a curiosity about finding things. The PR of simple friendliness with them (we are all curious about finding 'lost treasure' or we wouldn't do this) is invaluable to our hobby and a great resource to us individually. Thanks for reading and Good Hunting!

Kevin

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a nice feeling to return something to the owners isn't it. Having a card to hand out is one of the best things you can do for yourself and the hobby. You'd be supprised at the extra places this will get you into.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congratulations on the find, and the tip is always good. I have used business cards for a number of years now. Do an internet search for "free businesss cards" and you usually just have to pay shipping

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
txkickergirl said:
vistaprint.com has free cards you pay shipping
I've been kicking around the idea of getting business cards made up for some time now. This thread pushed me over the edge and mine are on order from vistaprint.com. Good job on the bracelet, it must of been quite a thrill.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to print my own biz cards out. There are several different easy to use programs at http://www.tucows.com/ all programs are clean they scan all there files regularly. The card stock you can buy from any office supply store in different colors. That way u can print up just what you need and design yours as elaborate as you wish.

type in business card designer in the search box at the top

Tucows has been there for along time they are very reputable, never downloaded a corrupt file from them yet.

Hill City Rebel

Aug 21, 2006
Vicksburg MS
Detector(s) used
Shadow X5/Fisher 1266/Nautilus DMC-IIB/Tesoro Bandido/NOT ONE SE
Kevin, I've just gotta share a story about trying to return an item to its owner - in this case it was a ring - many years ago. I wrote a book on my treasure hunting experiences awhile back, so I'll just lift it right out of there...

...there is another ring that I recall with a great deal of glee, one dug from behind a football-field bleachers in Greenville, Mississippi. It was a large, gold, well-made ring with a bright stone, an Ole Miss graduation ring. The pharmacist to whom it belonged had his name inscribed in the interior circumference. Now, any of you familiar with graduates of THE University of Mississippi are aware of that certain air of superiority that emanates from each, the source of numerous giggles from most of us of the non-Ole Miss populace who recognize their sometimes pompous nose-in-the-air stance as opportunity for a bit of fun-poking. As this was that period of time when men were prone to wear gaudy gold nuggets about their necks, I considered giving the Ole Miss ring its just reward by combining it with several wedding bands from ex-wives for a melt-down to fabricate a large nugget that I could wear, and thereby be “in style.” But conscience got the best of me. Even an arrogant Ole Miss graduate must attach some significance to his graduation ring. I determined to call this man and offer him his ring, free of charge, merely to satisfy my inner need to do the right thing. He was easy to find. The pharmacy was his name. I reluctantly made the call and got him on the phone. The conversation went like this:
“Hello, Mr. …. This is ....”
Hurriedly… “Yes. What can I do for you?”
“I think I’ve found something that belongs to you.”
“Yes. What is it?”
“A ring. Your Ole Miss graduation ring.”
“My ring?”
“Yep.”
After a pause… “That CAN”T be my ring.” Haughtily… “MY ring is in my safety deposit box.”
“What? You’re sure?”
“Yes. Goodbye.” Clank
Well… I couldn’t understand how it couldn’t be his ring, but he’d said it.
A day later his beautiful ring and my old wedding bands were joined in permanent matrimony to form the largest nugget to be worn to the Yacht Club on Lake Ferguson in the City of Greenville. Many were the compliments I received on its size and shine.
Now, as I may have mentioned, it’s my habit to read the classified ads in search of that next wonderful treasure, and so, several days later, as I scanned that source of fun and adventure, I noticed a very interesting ad. It read, “Would the person who found my Ole Miss Graduation ring PLEASE call me at ….”
I couldn’t bring myself to call him and report the demise of that proud symbol of his accomplishment. But I think of him anytime I come across that nugget, buried amongst the other out-of-fashion jewelry hidden in the drawer of my bureau.
Life is sweet.

Kevin, you meet all kinds.

Hill City Rebel

Aug 21, 2006
Vicksburg MS
Detector(s) used
I live in Greenville for 4 years starting up the power plant there, then returned to Vicksburg. Been here so long I feel like it's home now.

OP
OP
kevino1960

kevino1960

Oct 22, 2006
West Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark Fisher 1265X
WOW! Thanks for all of the great replies! Seems like everyone pulled something a little different out of my little adventure. The point I would like to reiterate is the importance of courteous and civil behavior towards others. It's good for the individual and our hobby as a whole. Remember the guy with a metal detector is every guy with a detector, act accordingly. Thanks again and good hunting!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job guys! I keep some business cards in my car just in case and also use them when asking permission. Always nice to help someone out and you surely made his day, nothing wrong with taking a reward either. You got another site out of the deal too! HH, Mike

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Good deed well done Kevin by you and your buddy. I'm sure you'll reap the rewards with many more places to hunt in the future by meeting people in need. Word of mouth is sometimes the best advertisement.

Hill City...he was not thinking before he spoke and you made the effort, took the time to look him up; just goes to show us no matter how rushed we are, one should always slow down a moment and listen.

Hill City Rebel

Aug 21, 2006
Vicksburg MS
Detector(s) used
Charlene, you're obviously a dog lover. Me, too. I lost (they grew old and died) my two little 16-year-old Cairn Terriers two years ago. They were like my children. I have two kids and a great wife, but I miss those two little tikes almost as much as I would one of my own kids. They're family, you know. I've not gotten another dog; guess I'm not ready yet, or maybe I fear a new dog would only be a disappointment after my experience with the Cairns. They even went relic-hunting with me.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story, Kevin! Ya'll did good!

Thanks! Nana :)

Top Member Reactions