Gold Bug 2 Aquisition

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
Well I finally did it. After hours of ebay searching and bidding...and getting outbid, I finally found the Fisher Goldbug 2. I found it on Craigslist San Diego. The gentleman, Ross, had just purchased an Equinox 800. He figured he was more interested in relics and coins. He never did find any gold with it, but found plenty of small lead shot and brass.
Nice guy. He lives in Yuma in the winter, Washington in the summer.
Okay, I had to make a 320 mile round trip to pick it up, but he did knock 25 bucks off the price. Bottom line: $400.00 plus $68.00 in gas.
I am going to have to invest in the small coil, but for now I am turning my backyard into a Goldfield complete with all the nuts and bolts I can get my hands on to mimic trash signals.
It is the older model, but he took excellent care of it. Yes, I tried it out before buying.
Thanks everyone for all your input. I narrowed it down to this unit and the Minelab Goldmonster 1000. I still want the monster, but for now, this will get me started.
And the bonus was all the rainbows. I must have seen 6 of them driving out there in the intermittent showers.
20211230_141557.jpg

Upvote 3

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't see any benefit to the new model. They put a ground display on it, but the number is used for nothing. When ground balancing sound is used. It doesn't matter what a number says. If you leave an area and then return, you will still re-balance using sound.
I was hoping they would discount a new older model, but so far it has not happened.

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
I don't see any benefit to the new model. They put a ground display on it, but the number is used for nothing. When ground balancing sound is used. It doesn't matter what a number says. If you leave an area and then return, you will still re-balance using sound.
I was hoping they would discount a new older model, but so far it has not happened.
I agree. I don't see any sense buying a new model when you can get the same thing for less than half price if you look around a little. I'm not real fond of ebay. I still like Craigslist.
I don't see the sense in buying something new when you can get a good used one for less than half.
I'm not liking eBay all that much. I like Craigslist.

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Minelab Explorer SE
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't see the sense in buying something new when you can get a good used one for less than half.
I'm not liking eBay all that much. I like Craigslist.
They are going used for around $500 and new at $750. The thing about used is there is no warranty. When filing a warranty claim manufacturers usually require proof of purchase from an authorized dealer. So buying new you not only get a machine that is not all beat up, but you get a factory 5 year warranty. For $250 taking a risk is not worth it.
I do buy used machines, but I need to get one heck of a deal before I do.

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
They are going used for around $500 and new at $750. The thing about used is there is no warranty. When filing a warranty claim manufacturers usually require proof of purchase from an authorized dealer. So buying new you not only get a machine that is not all beat up, but you get a factory 5 year warranty. For $250 taking a risk is not worth it.
I do buy used machines, but I need to get one heck of a deal before I do.
You have a valid point. I just think differently. If I can get a detector that was used a couple of times and then put away for less than half the price and no tax, I'm inclined to give it serious consideration. Hey, they gave the Kia & Hyundai a hundred thousand mile warranty on the power train. I've owned both. Had way over a hundred thousand when I sold them . I replaced an alternator on one. That's it.
Oh yeah, you're going to have to give me a "beat up" anything. I don't buy crap.

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Minelab Explorer SE
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have a valid point. I just think differently. If I can get a detector that was used a couple of times and then put away for less than half the price and no tax, I'm inclined to give it serious consideration.
I agree 100% most all the detectors in my list were bought used. I just have not seen a great deal on any GB2.
I looked at what the history of sales were recently on ebay and they were over $400. I bid on one at $420 it sold for $425 plus shipping, so $455. I have plenty detectors to play with, so no hurry finding one. My Whites GMT, 24k, and Nokta AU Gold can keep me busy.
I don't know if I am a collector or hoarder.

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
I agree 100% most all the detectors in my list were bought used. I just have not seen a great deal on any GB2.
I looked at what the history of sales were recently on ebay and they were over $400. I bid on one at $420 it sold for $425 plus shipping, so $455. I have plenty detectors to play with, so no hurry finding one. My Whites GMT, 24k, and Nokta AU Gold can keep me busy.
I don't know if I am a collector or hoarder.
Hello Danny,
I finally rounded out my arsenal. I have the GPZ7000, the Goldbug2, and The Fisher 1280x for underwater use.

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
Hello Danny,
I finally rounded out my arsenal. I have the GPZ7000, the Goldbug2, and The Fisher 1280x for underwater use.
Sorry my puppy just trounced me. I also have the JW Fisher Pulse 6x. Not sure about that one. It's up for sale.
All the detectors were bought used from guys who used them a couple of times, except the Pulse. My wife got that for me at a time when I had no interest in detectors. . .

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I finally did it. After hours of ebay searching and bidding...and getting outbid, I finally found the Fisher Goldbug 2. I found it on Craigslist San Diego. The gentleman, Ross, had just purchased an Equinox 800. He figured he was more interested in relics and coins. He never did find any gold with it, but found plenty of small lead shot and brass.
Nice guy. He lives in Yuma in the winter, Washington in the summer.
Okay, I had to make a 320 mile round trip to pick it up, but he did knock 25 bucks off the price. Bottom line: $400.00 plus $68.00 in gas.
I am going to have to invest in the small coil, but for now I am turning my backyard into a Goldfield complete with all the nuts and bolts I can get my hands on to mimic trash signals.
It is the older model, but he took excellent care of it. Yes, I tried it out before buying.
Thanks everyone for all your input. I narrowed it down to this unit and the Minelab Goldmonster 1000. I still want the monster, but for now, this will get me started.
And the bonus was all the rainbows. I must have seen 6 of them driving out there in the intermittent showers. View attachment 1999586
That old Fisher has a great reputation for finding all kinds of metal, small stuff too. A buddy of mine found a 2 reale 1817 coin standing a few feet away from me, with his GB II. There's gold at the end of those rainbows...! Good score...! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
That old Fisher has a great reputation for finding all kinds of metal, small stuff too. A buddy of mine found a 2 reale 1817 coin standing a few feet away from me, with his GB II. There's gold at the end of those rainbows...! Good score...! :icon_thumright:
Hello Mr. Treasure,
I did a lot of research. It was this or the Minelab Gold Monster
Hello Mr. Treasure,
Thanks for the letter. I did the research. It was this or the GoldMonster 1000. Since this was less than half the price, the choice was pretty obvious. I'm pretty sure between this and the GPZ 7000 I have my bases covered. I also picked up an underwater detector, the Fisher 1280x for a song. Yes, older analog technology, but built right and barely used.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Mr. Treasure,
I did a lot of research. It was this or the Minelab Gold Monster

Hello Mr. Treasure,
Thanks for the letter. I did the research. It was this or the GoldMonster 1000. Since this was less than half the price, the choice was pretty obvious. I'm pretty sure between this and the GPZ 7000 I have my bases covered. I also picked up an underwater detector, the Fisher 1280x for a song. Yes, older analog technology, but built right and barely used.
My hunting buddy has the Monster but hasn’t used it much
Apparently it is like an analog machine but with one tone
My Tesoro is analog but with tones

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread