Gold coated halves?

Blkcloud

Apr 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of $500 I found 9 that were 1966-1969 range.. all but one has some sort of gold color to it.. almost like old lacquer.. what is it? IMG_1192.JPG IMG_1192.JPG

Upvote 0

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone thought the bottom of an unflushed toilet would be a safe place to hide them?

Last edited:

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're gold plated.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
It is exactly what you think it is. It isn't gold plating, tarnish, or any of the other suggestions. It is lacquer. It was a common practice that old time collectors believed that applying a coat of lacquer would preserve the coin. I know the coins pictured are 40%'ers, but if they belonged to an older collector, they were just doing what they thought was right. As you have found out, the coating will flake off. To remove the rest, you can soak in acetone. Or don't bother and toss them on the pile.

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is exactly what you think it is. It isn't gold plating, tarnish, or any of the other suggestions. It is lacquer. It was a common practice that old time collectors believed that applying a coat of lacquer would preserve the coin. I know the coins pictured are 40%'ers, but if they belonged to an older collector, they were just doing what they thought was right. As you have found out, the coating will flake off. To remove the rest, you can soak in acetone. Or don't bother and toss them on the pile.

That's what I meant to say

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's normal varnish not tarnish LOL

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I'll be honest. When I saw the subject line and the status of the member posting, I summarily assumed YAGPH (Yet Another Gold Plated Half). The same questions have been asked over the years with consistent frequency. (We are due for the double date stamped half). But then I saw your photo (still not reading your post), and thought they don't look like the usual GPH. Then when I read the fact that you can peel/flake it off, it was clear as clear-coat.

By the way, applying lacquer to a coin was common back in the day especially with copper coins. If you were fortunate to have a Red, high grade specimen, there was no way to keep the red from reacting with air contaminants and turning brown. This was before coin encapsulation and TPG.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread